What you will be doing…
As a member of the School of Business and Creative Industries faculty team, you will provide theoretical and practical instruction in the Digital Animation program specializing in 3D animation. You will be teaching courses including; History of Animation and Film, Introduction to 3D, Storyboards and Animatics, Digital Painting, 3D Production & Rigging, 3D Sculpting, Character Design, Self-Promotion and Entrepreneurship, Animation Process, and Exploratory 3D. While the emphasis of the role is in 3D animation, some basic knowledge of rigging and motion capture is of benefit. You will collaboratively design and deliver educational experiences for a diverse group of learners. This will include preparation, instruction, assessment, and evaluation of students using a broad range of flexible teaching and learning practices and technologies such as Learning Management Systems (e.g. Brightspace) and classroom technology. Related duties include but are not limited to academic and career advisement, participating on committees, program marketing, curriculum revision/development through collaborative practice within faculty working groups, supporting and monitoring work placements, liaising with business and industry, representing the College as required and upholding NSCC policies and procedures. You will also ensure health and safety practices and procedures are followed in your classroom, shops and labs. As a Faculty of NSCC, you will be expected to maintain currency with the latest industry practices relevant to your program and to continually develop your understanding of 21st century teaching and learning practices. This position may involve different delivery modalities (e.g. in-class, online, blended online/in-class), off-site instruction and alternate work hours such as weekends and evenings.
What you’ll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of your students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC’s mission. You bring a learning-centred perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a relevant college diploma or university degree in 3D animation, or an animation degree or diploma with significant 3D work experience.
- You possess 3D animation skills, familiarity with animation processes, storyboarding and motion capture software.
- You have a minimum of five years of recent and related occupational experience in 3D animation that includes using a variety of 3D software.
- You must have specific experience and/or knowledge in the following:
- 3D animation software – primarily Maya, Blender, Motion Builder; 3D Studio Max (secondary)
- 3D sculpting software- primarily Maya and Zbrush; Blender (secondary)
- 3D texturing and lighting- Substance Painter and Photoshop with Maya
- 3D character builds and rigging (basic rigging)
- problem-solving and software trouble-shooting skills
- Experience and/or knowledge in the following would be considered an asset:
- 3D animation production pipeline management
- History of animation
- 2D/3D character designs
- Animation concept, story and character development
- Layout and design in Adobe Photoshop and Premiere
- Willingness to experiment and use additional 3D tools such as body scanners and 3D scanners.
- Experience in a supervisory capacity; evaluating, monitoring, assessing and advising will be considered an asset.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-Mail, Microsoft Teams, and Brightspace (or other online learning management tool).
- You possess basic internet skills to search for information coupled with internet information skills to evaluate the information you find. Above all, you are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology, and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience
- You have demonstrated experience liaising with business and industry in your field
- Ideally, you have related experience in delivery of educational programs or training to adults
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices
- You are comfortable using multi-media technologies and a variety of platforms that will serve to engage students in online and blended learning capacities. The ability to teach effectively in an online/blended environment which includes building knowledge of best practices for the delivery and management of courses delivered whole or in part online, using a course management system to communicate with students and to foster and support a collaborative online learning community with and between students will be an important factor in your success. Candidates who do not have previous online/blended teaching experience must be open to and willing to participate in training for this delivery model.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- You possess excellent presentation skills and can facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and can manage interpersonal relationships and issues effectively
- Your superb team-building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and community involvement, make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC