[ click on a question to view the answer ]
Career Transitions and Trying New Roles
- Making career changes without much support from friends and family
- Steps to building career resiliency
- Career and job transition in a pandemic
Conquering the Impostor Syndrome
- What it is, and how to cope
- Imposter Syndrome when you’re “the only”
- The Superwoman Syndrome: “working twice as hard” and perfectionism
Building Confidence, Despite Isolation
- Establishing professional relationships
- Developing soft skills
- Creating a community of support outside of work
- Mentorship (traditional and non-traditional)
Dealing with Tokenism
- What is tokenism?
- “Covering” at work to fit in
- Favouritism and nepotism (and how some people don’t worry about tokenism)
- The value BIPOC and other perspectives bring to organizations
- Myths vs. realities associated with employment equity
- The value of mentorship
- The entitlement gap, and how it plays out at work
- Fixed mindset vs growth mindset
- The risks of internalized oppression and self-fulfilling prophecies
Navigating the Workplace
- Finding your way as an underrepresented group member/racialized person
- Navigating the workplace when you’re the newest, least experienced employee – and an “only” because you’re part of an underrepresented group
- So, you have an idea, what now? What are the proper channels to access when presenting that idea and turning it into something?
- How to share and mobilize ideas?
- How to speak effectively with older people (there are now up to four generations in many workplaces)
- Networking sincerely to build a resilient career
- Incidental networking and the hidden value of a diverse network
- Open vs. closed networks
- Developing credibility and visibility; the “know, like, and trust continuum”
- Spotting a bad workplace during the hiring process
- Professional boundaries, harassment, and bullying
- What are allyship and performative allyship (in the context of figuring out who is genuine)
A great resume is a key component of a successful job application. Learn how to make your resume stand out by learning about the general structures and formats of resumes, learning how to tailor and modify your resume based on what you’re applying for, and how to effectively communicate your skills and abilities to prospective employers.
How to Write Impressive Cover Letters
Writing a cover letter can be challenging, and the reality of the situation is that a a cover letter can make or break your application. In this workshop, we will go over what a cover letter is, how to approach it, and what information to include within it so that the prospective employer can see why you’re the right person for the job.
Interview with Success
Preparation is crucial to an effective job interview. Learn what steps you can take to prepare for an in-person and/or a virtual interview so that you can anticipate questions and leave a positive impression with your potential employer.
Building or Improving your LinkedIn Profile
Many people still underestimate the importance of LinkedIn in their job search and are sometimes reluctant to embrace social media. In reality, a professionally written LinkedIn profile allows you to create an online professional brand which can help open doors to opportunities and networks that you may not have been aware of otherwise.
In this workshop you will learn about the role and importance of LinkedIn as a way to connect with companies and potential employers. We will also dive into how to use LinkedIn effectively in your job search to uncover potential job leads.