Senior Data Scientist
Wattpad is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join our StoryDNA team. You will help guide and drive aspects of our technical strategy that use machine learning to model our story content and metadata. This senior role will be working across Engineering, Data and Product leadership to help guide the evolution of the technical architecture, infrastructure and best practices used within our Data organization. This role assumes a deep familiarity with both applied research and bringing models to production. The ideal candidate will have a deep interest in social-mobile experiences, a passion for exploring innovative approaches to open-ended problems, and developing solutions to both internal and user-facing product-centric problems.
What you will be doing:
- Working cross-functionally to identify problems and turn data into knowledge, which can be actioned into product features or business decisions
- Designing experiments, inventing new algorithms, preparing datasets, and creating prototype implementations focusing on applications to various challenging business problems
- Engaging with teams across the department to help evolve and guide their data science practices, technology strategy, architectures, and infrastructure
- Working closely with product teams to understand their needs and intersecting business strategies to develop a cohesive data science roadmap
- Creating strategies that improve our ability to run experiments as an organization
- Presenting work within Wattpad as well as in scientific and engineering communities
- Collaborating and mentoring other data scientists, establishing best practices, and encouraging knowledge sharing between team members
- Work with the team to break down large complex data science projects into manageable phases/deliverables
- Building and delivering machine learning models into production
What we’re looking for:
- Quantitative background with a graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in a quantitative role with knowledge of statistical machine learning, deep learning, and natural language computing
- Experience in algorithm development, and adapting existing algorithms to novel applications
- Comfort working with complex, high-dimensional data
- Ability to work within ambiguity and collaborate with the team to drive insights in a changing environment
- Fluency with Python, and familiarity with one or more deep learning software frameworks such as TensorFlow,PyTorch, or JAX
- Experience with large-scale data processing tools (Apache Spark, Apache Flink or Apache Beam)
- Development experience involving data pipelines, distributed systems, and performance analysis is a plus
- Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, self-driven, with a deep curiosity and passion for knowledge discovery
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for a gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!