Reporting to the Senior Software Developer, the System Administrator will support the research activities of MERIDIAN and our partners by managing computational resources in local servers provided by Dalhousie University and in Compute Canada’s cloud ecosystem. The System Administrator will assist in the deployment and maintenance of web applications, command-line tools, and data stores.
- Build and configure Virtual Machines (VMs) to meet project requirements, including managing software dependencies and maintaining databases in VMs.
- Deploy and manage web applications, balancing loads and scaling VMs, as needed.
- Monitor and proactively address security threats, certificates, system updates and downtime, etc.
- Perform periodic backups.
- Manage access to VMs and databases, including the creation of accounts and passwords.
- Maintain and improve documentation of system architecture.
The successful applicant will work remotely through the period of COVID restrictions. After restrictions are lifted, the successful applicant may work on campus or continue to work remotely, as agreed by all parties based on operational requirements.
Diploma in a relevant Computer Science field, with approximately 1-2 years of related experience installing, configuring, and maintaining software for web servers (Nginx, Apache), containers (Docker), container orchestration (Kubernetes), and data storage (Postgres, MongoDB) is required. Experience deploying web applications (including managing ports, obtaining security certificates, configuring DNS, etc.) is also required. Familiarity with microservices and experience with research support are considered assets.