Staff Engineer, Infrastructure (Americas, Remote)
FreshBooks is a leading cloud-based SaaS accounting software designed with one goal: to help small business owners grow. We reached unicorn status after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion and continue to scale our business to serve business owners, their clients, and accountants in more than 160 countries worldwide. FreshBookers are found all over the globe, and we know that different folks thrive in different working environments: Remote, onsite, and everything in between, you’ll find it with us.
The Opportunity – Product Analyst
This is a fantastic opportunity to lead innovative technology initiatives on the infrastructure side. It is a high influence, high impact IC role with technical leadership or more if you choose.
What You’ll Do As A Staff Engineer
- Work closely with our product teams and other senior technical leaders to co-create and deliver on our technical strategy via inclusive and supportive approaches
- Learn in-depth details of the current infrastructure and supporting services, and map long term improvements
- Provide coaching and guidance for engineers as an advocate for reliable, observable, and adaptable infrastructure using stewardship and best practices
- Solve broad, platform-wide problems that have Engineering- and Product-wide impact
- Support operational excellence and make measurable improvements to our support processes
- Develop your craft, improving your expertise and knowledge to raise the level of the teams around you
- Evolve our technical architecture to scale with our rapidly growing customer community
What You’ll Bring To The Role
- 10+ years of experience in supporting and and managing production service environments
- 6+ years of experience with Google Cloud Platform, or another major cloud service provider
- 3+ years of experience with Kubernetes
- A solid understanding of best practices around containerized applications and runtimes
- Demonstrated experience coaching and mentoring technical teams, and growing the overall technical maturity of our Engineering organization
- Experience doing the hard bits of Platform Engineering — providing a flexible and intuitive interface for developers, while ensuring the platform remains responsive and reliable for everyone
- Experience providing solutions that focus on the entirety of the SDLC, from local development environments through to production observability and diagnostics
- Familiarity with continuous integration, continuous delivery, and automated build pipelines
- The ability to balance desire to deliver features and improvements quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
You’ll Stand Out If You Bring Experience In
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices
- Experience working with non-Kubernetes container orchestration and tooling
- Experience with databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Experience working with Infrastructure as Code – Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.
- An understanding of the SDLC, and related best practices
- Experience with Redis, ElasticSearch, or RabbitMQ
- An understanding of content delivery networks and networking in general – routing, caching, latency, etc.
Our Commitments to You
At FreshBooks each person knows their opinion is valued, and can see their impact on the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. Accelerate your career, work on projects you’re passionate about, and work as a part of a collaborative team without ego! Here are some of the ways FreshBooks recognises and rewards our employees:
- 🩺 Comprehensive Health and Wellness Benefits. Including retirement savings programs matched to your local office, stock options for every full time employee, generous time off, parental leave and new parent support, annual healthy living credit, comprehensive medical and dental benefits dependent on your region, and more.
- 📚 Perks that Matter. Including a Peer Recognition Program, an Employee Assistance Program, headphone credit, meaningful in-person gatherings to bring onsite and remote employees together, and more perks matched to your locale.
- 🌱Working Environments to Help You Thrive. Beautiful office spaces welcome you in Canada and Mexico, and remote FreshBookers receive a home office credit to set up your home office.
- 🤗 Supportive Peer Group, Mentors, and Leaders. We care about each other across the organisation and have programs to support this so everyone feels a strong sense of belonging, and believes in collective impact.
- 🚀 Accelerated growth. 3 week dedicated company onboarding, career development through continuous coaching, training, and learning on the job, and a bi-annual review process.
Even if your experience doesn’t meet every bullet on the above lists, we’d love to learn more about you and why you think FreshBooks is the next step in your career.
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.