Job Title: Solutions Developer
Reference Number: 8769
Type of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Business Unit: Corporate Commercial, Emera Energy
Location: Halifax, NS
Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Emera Energy is an established and growing energy marketing and trading company in North America. For nearly twenty years we have provided innovative and customized energy management services to our customers and we are trusted by over 350 trading customers across North America. Led by an experienced team of industry executives with a proven track record of success, we currently have more than 70 employees in Canada and the USA.
The business combines a wealth of expertise and experience and technology to harness global, regional, and local market information related to commodities, generation, transmission, gas transportation and storage to realize growth opportunities.
Emera Energy is a wholly owned subsidiary of Emera Inc., a North American leader in the transition to cleaner energy. Emera Inc. has over 7,100 employees in Canada, the USA and the Caribbean and its shares are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (ticker symbol: EMA).
Emera values people who believe that safety and health, relationships, and excellence are integral to how we work. In return, we value the diversity of our people and invest in their growth through:
- competitive compensation packages: including a comprehensive pension and benefits plan and employer-sponsored saving plans;
- opportunities for career growth: including a strategic focus on employee development plans, opportunities to advance within and between our affiliate companies and, sponsored education programs;
- giving back to communities: including corporate investments in the places where our people live and work; employee dollars-for-doers and fundraising-matching programs and, scholarships for children of employees.
We are currently looking to hire a Solutions Developer to join Emera Energy’s IT team, reporting to the IT Business Support Manager. We are seeking a self-starter with proven ability to successfully assist with project deliverables in a very driven, fast paced, and ever-changing environment. As the ideal candidate you posses strong critical thinking skills, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
In particular as the Solutions Developer, you will be responsible for:
- All technical aspects of our Natural Gas Scheduling software; including but not limited to:
- Liaison with the Commercial team to understand requirements for the software;
- Identifying innovative solutions to ensure the Commercial team has the best experience with the application;
- Establishing and maintaining vendor relationships with internal and external IT resources;
- Troubleshooting technical issues and implement break/fix;
- Test solutions (test case creation and gathering test evidence).
- Integrating new data sources into Emera Energy’s data warehouse;
- Creating efficient, resilient, and innovative solutions using modern technologies.
- You will be responsible for your personal safety, that of co-workers, and those under your direction, by observing all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience:
As the ideal candidate you recognize yourself in most of the following competencies, and possess or are working towards the desired skills and experience listed below:
- You have completed a Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Software Engineering or a posses a diploma in IT Database
- Administration or IT Programming, other quantitative relative fields will be taken into consideration;
- Strong background in developing complex SQL queries as well as experience working with Microsoft Database Management Systems (DBMS);
- Expert working knowledge and experience with ETL/data integration and development of ETL strategies (SSIS experience an asset);
- Python scripting knowledge;
- AWS experience is a bonus;
- Application support experience as well as incident/problem management experience;
- A high level of flexibility, adaptability and the ability to work under tight deadlines or changing needs;
- The skillset to collaborate with associates across all levels of an organization and within the immediate team;
- A high level of intellectual curiosity, seeking to understand how the business works.
Preference may be given to candidates who posses previous experience with an energy trading and marketing firm.
At Emera Energy our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate for this position you speak up on health, safety, and environment issues, and demonstrate a belief that all injuries are preventable. You support flexibility in the workplace and embrace change. A Solutions Developer builds strong collaborative relationships with a commitment to a respectful, inclusive, and productive work environment while demonstrating integrity and a commitment to operational excellence for our customers. Lastly, we encourage you to proactively ask questions and seek information to understand how your work relates to the business goals and make well informed decisions.
Reports to: IT Business Support Manager, Commercial
Remuneration: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. We offer a comprehensive remuneration package including a competitive salary, potential for an incentive bonus, pension plan, share purchase plan and employee wellness program.
Form of Application: To apply, please click on the blue ‘APPLY NOW’ button in this online job posting, complete all required information fields, and upload your cover letter and resume into one single file.
Application Deadline: All interested candidates should apply no later than September 15 th , 2021. Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We are committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
At Emera we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through the on-line application process. Emera supports candidates and employees with access and accommodation needs.
Normally, unless otherwise requested in advance, the supervisors of internal candidates selected for an interview will be contacted in order to facilitate scheduling of the interviews. The supervisor will maintain the confidentiality of the employee’s application.