Software Engineering Manager (2nd Line)
For more than 20 years Global Relay has set the standard and trends in compliant communications with our multi-award winning unified communications, data capture, and data analysis platform. We securely capture and manage the world’s communications data and give its owners greater control and visibility to drive value and ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements of a large variety of industries and authorities.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits and all the other typical things you expect, but we are not your typical company. Global Relay is a career-making company. It is a place for big ideas, new challenges, and cutting-edge innovation. It is a place where you can make an impact.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you are an experienced 2nd line manager who will lead a software organization, consisting of multiple teams that are responsible for delivering highly scalable distributed services and applications. You will act as the anchor for building a top-tier team that will transform Information Management through technology that is smart, sophisticated, user-centric, and highly scalable. We’re building teams and a culture that respects the craft of software engineering, applying our expertise to problems that really matter.
If you want to solve complex problems that make clear and real-world impact in people’s lives, join us!
As a Senior Software Engineering Manager, you will:
- Lead a team of talented Engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems
- Be a hands-on 2nd line Engineering team manager who will spend up to 60% of your time on people management, recruitment and organizing teams, and 40% of your time in design reviews, sprint planning and other Agile artifacts
- Partner with peers across Engineering, Product Management, Operations, Support and Human Resources to drive delivery of cross-functional projects and address technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members: help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- In collaboration with Product Mangers, Test Managers, and your Engineers, maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals for your team
- Help your team build relationships across functions such as Support, Operations, Test, and other teams to ensure Global Relay’s continuing success
- Appreciate and advocate for information security and secure coding practices
- A degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- 2+ years of experience as a 2nd line Software Engineering Manager or Senior Manager overseeing an organization of 20 people or greater, including managing 1st line Managers or Leads
- 3+ years of experience as a hands-on 1st line Software Engineering Manager or a Team Lead, managing a team of 3 people or greater
- 8+ years of software development experience, shipping enterprise grade software, using multiple languages and frameworks
- Extensive people management experience, and experience aggressively recruiting for and building a software development organization
- Experience building and managing large, highly scalable distributed services, complex databases, microservices and API’s in service and resource-oriented architectures
- Experience with large complex databases and managing data quality and lifecycle issues
- Understanding of modern frameworks and techniques for building web application user interfaces
- Experience with any of the following is an asset:
- Java or .Net Core
- Docker or Kubernetes
- CI/CD systems
- Big Data technology
- Security in an enterprise environment
At Global Relay there is no ceiling. This is the land of opportunity for the energetic, intelligent, and driven people that make this company great. The combination of the right people in the right positions and a rapidly growing company means unlimited career potential.
You will receive the mentoring, coaching, and support that you need to reach your personal and career goals. You’ll be part of a culture that promotes and rewards hard work and creativity and will grow into the new opportunities that are available to you.
To learn more about our business, culture, and community involvement, visit www.globalrelay.com.