Senior Systems Engineer-Safety
Specific Job Description
The successful candidate will be called to work at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Stadacona, in Halifax, once the necessary security clearances have been granted by the government of Canada.
Lockheed Martin Canada Inc. (Lockheed Martin) is Canada’s most successful Combat System Integrator (CSI) specializing in large, sophisticated integration projects. We take advantage of advanced engineering practices and modern technologies to design, develop and integrate combat systems for naval warships.
The candidate will be involved in the in the Halifax Class Frigate Combat System In-Service Support (ISS) Program, including the total engineering life cycle from specification, design, development, integration & test, deployment, maintenance and field trouble shooting for systems and capabilities on a high complexity naval combat system.
The candidate will function in a multi-disciplined team environment. Participate in the technical definition and development of the system design and architecture, and participate in all appropriate engineering activities including but not limited to:
- Provide safety guidance to the technical and programmatic lead
- Provide updates to senior staff on ongoing tasks from a Safety Engineering perspective
- Review all System Problem Reports for System Safety Issues
- Review all task requirements for potential hazards and/or safety assessments
- Participate in the development of, and the technical review of Systems/Software change designs to ensure appropriate design Level of Rigor is applied to safety critical design functions and provide guidance where necessary to achieve this program expectation
- Participate in development of and the technical review of test artifacts relating to safety critical, or safety related changes to the combat system
- Witness formal testing of Safety Critical changes to the Halifax Class Combat System
- Lead investigations into Safety Related functionality of the Halifax Class Combat System as required
- Provide Safety Assessment Report detailing all known Safety Hazards with the Halifax Class Combat System to accompany each version of Combat System Software delivered.
Employee Type: Full Time
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Lockheed Martin Canada is the Canadian-based arm of Lockheed Martin Corporation, a global security and aerospace company employing 110,000 people worldwide, including more than 1,000 Canadians. By applying innovative approaches of our highly skilled and experienced Canadian workforce, we have been Canada’s trusted defence and aerospace partner for over 80 years. We operate major facilities in Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax, Calgary and Victoria and work on a wide range of programs from advanced naval technology products and unmanned systems software to providing delivery and in-service support of the latest military aircraft to commercial engine repair and overhaul capabilities. This position is part of the Rotary and Mission Systems business area, where employees across Canada support engineering, systems integration, training, sustainment and in-service support programs for Canadian and international military customers across land, air and sea.
Clearance required for role: Nato Secret
Required skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 10 years or more of professional experience; or 6 years of professional experience with a related Master’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years of Systems Safety Engineering and Leadership experience
- Experience with integrated combat systems integration with particular focus on sensor and weapon integration
- Knowledge/experience in the Concept of Operations of Integrated weapon systems in a military force context – Naval applications preferred
- Recognized as a resource and an authority in discipline
- Demonstrated ability to influence
- Strong team player and leadership skills
- Experience with Software, Systems, Hardware or Maintenance engineering lifecycles
- Communicate effectively with technical and non-technical members of the engineering/management staff and personnel assigned to related work
- Aptitude for solving challenging problems in a team environment
- Have a high degree of initiative and autonomy
- Have a high learning ability
- Ability to adapt and perform in a dynamic environment
- Detailed knowledge of MIL-STD-882E and ARP-4761 standards.
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
- Familiarity with DOORS or Windchill
- Experience with Military Naval domain
- Experience with Sensors, Weapons or Ship integration
- Experience with Change Management, Requirements Management, Test and trials,
- Security, Safety, Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)/Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) or Environmental Qualification.
Workplace Vaccination Policy
Lockheed Martin Canada is committed to lead and support efforts to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for our employees, partners and customers. Our Workplace Vaccination policy provides direction on our approach to managing COVID-19 and that policy will likely evolve as conditions and legal requirements change. At this time, all current and future employees of Lockheed Martin Canada who work on certain federal government sites must be fully vaccinated. We are also asking all employees to voluntarily submit their current vaccine status.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Lockheed Martin supports Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity in the workplace by creating a place of employment that is, harassment free, diverse, fair, ethical, inclusive, and values the contribution of all its employees. Diversity and inclusion are the foundation of our culture and reflect our values of doing what’s right, respecting others and performing with excellence. By leveraging our employees’ unique talents and experiences, we will deliver innovative, affordable solutions and unparalleled customer value.