Senior Software Engineer – Machine Learning Platform
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
At Wattpad, we have a massive scale and reach across our global users; this is what makes us unique. It’s been an exciting time of growth, change and development for Wattpad. Working at Wattpad, you will have access to large and unique data sources. In addition to a massive corpus of stories, we work with engagement data such as comments, votes (i.e., likes), and conversations between readers and creators. These conversations and engagements have driven the popularity of hit fiction titles such as ‘After’, ‘The Kissing Booth’, ‘I am a Gay Wizard’, and many others.
The Data Products & Services (DPS) team within the Data Org at Wattpad owns and maintains the infrastructure and the strategy for our Machine Learning platform. As a member of the DPS team, you will be working with a team of engineers and data scientists to improve the Machine Learning Lifecycle experience across Wattpad. You will help build products and tooling that enable our data scientists to apply Machine Learning to Search, Recommendations, and Content (i.e. NLU) insights at scale. Our team scales models for production that can see upwards of 3k queries per second.
What you’ll be doing:
- Build new features and developer tools for data scientists to facilitate the development of machine learning models
- Build, maintain, and enhance machine learning pipelines and their orchestration
- Deploy, scale, and monitor models and their services in production
- Improve the performance of model services and infrastructure
- Uphold high engineering standards and best practices
- Provide mentorship and pave the way for engineers at Wattpad
- Drive architectural decisions (such as assessing vendors in order to buy vs build/make)
Do you have most of the following? If so, please apply!
- You have a passion for machine learning and developer tools
- You have worked on large scale systems
- You have an understanding and/or experience of open-source ML frameworks (e.g. Tensorflow, TFX, PyTorch)
- You are proficient with cloud technologies, preferably in the AWS stack. You understand how they relate to Data Science and Machine learning (e.g. EMR, ECR, EKS would be a plus)
- You understanding and/or have experience with distributed data processing in Hadoop, Spark, Apache Beam or others
- You have experience with Airflow, Luigi and/or other related pipeline orchestration tools/frameworks
- You have a solid understanding of software engineering principles and data engineering practices and have used them in the ML/AI space
- You are skilled in Python and/or Go
- You love to deliver impactful products that accelerate the workflows of our data scientists
- You care about software quality and aim to improve it by applying an operational mindset along with sound testing techniques
- You help inspire and grow the team – you are a multiplying factor
- You have a systematic approach to project planning and dealing with ambiguity
- You are able to articulate the strengths and weaknesses of solutions, and to reason about the compromises required for systems at scale
- You have a deep knowledge of Docker and exposure to container orchestration tools like Kubernetes or ECS in a CI/CD environment
- You have exposure to Infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform & Ansible
- You have experience in a technical/project leadership role
What we offer:
- Diverse and inclusive workplace – See our culture page for more information
- Competitive salary
- Health benefits starting on day 1
- RRSP matching
- 5 weeks off per year (3 weeks vacation plus 2 weeks of flex time)
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals, including a learning and development budget for conferences
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours
- A beautiful office in downtown Toronto and Halifax, with easy access to transit (we are a hybrid office – it’s okay to be fully remote)
- Weekly company All-Hands with monthly AMA
- Annual 1on1s with the CEO (also has open office hours on a quarterly basis)
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we?
Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean?
We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with?
Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work?
Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.