Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
We are a well-funded, hyper-growth, scale-up looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer with experience working with data, specifically in the financial services industry or insurance industry. If you’ve ever dreamed of working with a top tier technology company scale-up, on leading edge technologies, backed by the very best venture capitalists in the world, then this is your chance.
Some details about MobSquad:
- MobSquad solves the significant and growing technology talent shortage faced by US-based start-ups and scale-ups by enabling its clients to quickly have a turnkey “virtual” Canadian subsidiary. MobSquad ensures technology professionals with US work visa challenges remain working with their current company, but nearshore from Canada. This is accomplished via MobSquad’s unique partnership with the Canadian Government, enabling work visas to be issued for technology professionals and their respective families within four to six weeks, and Canadian permanent residency within six to eight months. Additionally, MobSquad has unfettered access to top-tier global technology talent which it relocates to Canada and pairs with American as well as Canadian clients on an exclusive, long-term basis, helping firms not only retain their existing world-class technology talent base, but grow it substantially.
- We’re a Certified B corporation, and have made numerous contributions to charitable organizations, as well as a financial commitment to the Upside Foundation. We believe we are playing a key role in enhancing Canada’s innovation economy, and have received financial support from the Government of Canada, Province of Alberta, Province of Nova Scotia, and City of Calgary, to support this ambition.
- For our workplace culture, we were recognized as the 3rd best place to work in Canada (for a small company) in 2020, as well as recognized specifically for being one of the best workplaces nationally for: inclusion; mental wellness; giving back; youth; and technology. We were also recognized as one of the best start-ups to work for across Canada.
- For our innovative business model, we have been featured in numerous media outlets including: Asian Pacific Post; BetaKit; Bloomberg; CBC; Global News; Gothamist; International Business Times; MIT Technology Review; Nearshore Americas; Nikkei Asian Review; NPR; The Economic Times of India; The Financial Times; The Globe and Mail; The Information; The New York Times; and The Washington Post.
- Harvard Business School published a case study on MobSquad last fall, and Harvard Business Review featured us multiple times in an article that appeared on the cover of their November/December 2020 edition.
- You can learn more about us on our website.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In this role as a Senior Software Engineer, you will use Python or Java to gather, process, and analyze large datasets and build data services that are used for software development. You’ll spend 80% of your time building highly scalable back-end services, and 20% of your time solving complex data processing problems.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a comparable field from an accredited institution
- You have over five years of experience with Python, Java, and Node.js in a cloud environment
- You have over three years of data engineering experience, and over five years of overall software engineering industry experience
- You have experience with webservice standards and protocols including REST, SOAP, GraphQL, Swagger/OpenAPI
- You have experience with large-scale SQL and NoSQL databases and datasets
- You have experience processing large datasets with Hive and Hadoop
- You have experience with big data formats and technologies including Spark, Parquet, Avro, ORC, HDFS, CephFS, HBase, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, Lucene
- You have experience with caching and load balancing to maintain highly scalable webservices
- You have experience designing, building, and maintaining large-scale data infrastructures
- You have experience with software development in a Linux and/or Unix environment
- You have experience creating and delivering microservice architectures
- You have experience providing zero downtime and continuous availability for large-scale distributed systems and technologies
- You have experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) processes
WHAT YOU’LL GET @MOBSQUAD
- A full-time position that offers competitive compensation
- A benefits program delivered through our bespoke digital platform, giving you control, choice, and flexibility. We give you the ability to build your package of benefits covering health (think medical, dental, vision), wellness (think gym, workout gear, massage, transit) and RRSP (think retirement)
- A downtown office location with first-rate amenities, surrounded by great restaurants and easily-accessible transit
- For international candidates, sponsorship for an immediate work permit, expedited permanent residency, and Canadian citizenship within four years.
At MobSquad, we support and encourage building a work environment that is diverse, inclusive, and safe for all. We invite and welcome applicants of all backgrounds, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability.