Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Nova Scotia, Remote)
It turns out… unicorns are real! In fact, FreshBooks just became one after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion. And ever since launching in 2003, we’ve been on a steady incline towards one goal: Building easy-to-use accounting software for small business owners. It’s the goal that’s driven us to expand into five offices, serving customers in over 160 countries. And it’s the goal we’d love for you to be a part of as a member of our global team as we continue our journey.
FreshBooks is building remote-first Engineering teams on the East Coast! We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer in Nova Scotia who will play a hands-on role in driving our mission to build a world-class technology company with a global footprint. You will play a vital role that impacts the lives of millions of small business owners around the world, using tech you’re sure to love. You’ll also help shape the Engineering culture at FreshBooks as you mentor folks earlier in their Engineering careers, and learn from all those around you in turn. We are looking for people who thrive in a remote-friendly, collaborative, and agile development environment.
If this appeals to you, read on to learn more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What you’ll do in your first 12 months at FreshBooks:
- Build real world applications that have a meaningful impact on Business Owners
- Make sound decisions even in the absence of complete information, and recognize when to over engineer and when not to
- Design and develop application technologies that optimize solution operation and minimize maintenance overhead
- Collaborate with full-stack and mobile developers on cross-functional Agile teams working on features for our customers
- Work closely with UX designers and Product owners to ensure the best web experience for our customers
- Contribute to a large codebase that contains a multitude of customer features
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Ensure quality through automated and exploratory testing
- Ship your code with our continuous integration process
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in web full stack development
- Mentor others, versus just answering questions – Pairing and mentoring others is an integral part of this level
- Able to make an effective technical or business case for code changes
- Motivates team members towards high quality work
- Demonstrate passion about building high quality software that addresses customer needs
- Be a proactive communicator who enjoys working closely with creative and technical peers
- Work in a dynamic Agile based environment
What you bring to this role and your new team:
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in web application development (Agile or Lean environment)
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
- Experience with our core tech stack:
- Python (our core back-end technologies)
- Databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Writing and working with REST APIs — and by “REST,” we really do mean actual resource-oriented REST, and not RPC using HTTP mechanisms
- Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Familiarity with continuous integration or better, continuous delivery (CI/CD) and automated build pipelines
- A can-do attitude and eagerness to step up to handle tough issues
- The ability to learn quickly and experiment to find new solutions
- Comfort with unfamiliar problems and the ability to extract lessons and learn from mistakes
- Curiosity about and ability to anticipate the impact of emerging technologies and make adjustments
- The ability to balance desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
Why Join Us
We’re a motivated bunch, with our eye’s laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. If you got this far, please write your favourite food next to your timezone. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.