Senior Software Developer – Video Player Clients (Remote or Halifax)
At REDspace, our team’s diversity makes us stronger. We encourage and embrace applications from BIPOC, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, and persons of the LGBTQ+ community.
Senior Software Developer – Video Player Clients
REDspace is a custom software development company. We build cutting-edge streaming platforms and user experiences that are transforming the media & entertainment industry for clients such as WarnerMedia, ViacomCBS, Sony, and IBM. Leveraging our extensive, world-class experience, we help transform other industries by integrating existing systems with consumer media innovations and emerging technologies such as video, voice, mobile, machine learning, and gaming tech.
We are looking for a Senior Software Developer – Video Player Clients to join our growing, cross-functional team.
As a Senior Software Developer, focused on Video Player Clients you will be responsible for ensuring the client-side video playback is staying current with industry standards, you will convert user stories and/or specifications into a functional video player. You will participate in the development process from inception to deployment, collaborating with a team of designers, developers and a project manager. You will help coach and mentor junior developers informally, offering technical support and guidance throughout the project lifecycle. To ensure top quality every step of the way, you will write efficient code, testing it prior to submission and you will troubleshoot and debug the result of your work with the help of QA throughout the Agile process. Given the client-facing nature of this role, your strong communication and customer service skills will ensure customer satisfaction with the process and the product.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years of development experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in related area such as Computer Science or Software Engineering considered an asset
- Proficient at development within existing code bases as well as greenfield projects.
- Proficient with at least one of the following languages:
- Objective-C / Swift
- Java / Kotlin
- Strong understanding of one of or a few of the following:
- Media Source Extensions and Encrypted Media Extensions
- Encoding and packaging of media.
- ISO-BMFF (ISO-14496-12)
- How it impacts client-side support, tooling to inspect to work with backend
- Media encoding and packaging – specifically Common Encryption schemes
- Client-side support
- Difference between CTR and CBC encryption modes
- Content Delivery Networks and their caching models (Fastly, Akamai, CloudFront, etc)
- Client and Server-side Ad Insertion
- Git and common branching models
- Ecosystem Build Tooling (xcodebuild, gradle, webpack | rollup | …)
- Client-side API Usage and Development
- An understanding of scrum and kanban
- Ability to process and conceptualize information within tight timelines
Working at REDspace.
One of the big plus sides of working at REDspace is we look out for you.
Your well-being. We offer:
- Fully company-funded health, vision, dental, and life insurance coverage with access to an online doctor
- Pension plan contribution matching
- Healthy living allowance
Your career. We’re invested in your growth. We offer:
- Annual professional development allowance
- Bi-weekly and monthly Project and Tech shares
- Annual salary and performance reviews
Your happiness. You’ll enjoy coming to work every day. We offer:
- A flexible work environment with remote work options, in office opportunities or a mixed approach
- Financial relocation assistance
- Social and team building events
- Charitable donation matching
At REDspace, our team’s diversity makes us stronger.
Different backgrounds, talents, skills, experiences, and perspectives strengthen our business and the communities in which we work and live. We are committed to growing and cultivating an inclusive environment that enables knowledge sharing and collaboration—empowering our employees to be their best.
We hire based on merit and skill and make all employment-related and hiring decisions regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or indigenous origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital status, or Veteran status.
Where to find us!
168-1595 Bedford Hwy
Bedford NS, Canada B4A 3Y4
This position is based out of our Bedford office OR has the opportunity to be remote. We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience. We appreciate your interest in REDspace. Please note, only candidates who meet the requirements of the role will be contacted.