Senior Software Developer – Video Infrastructure (Remote or Halifax)
At REDspace, our team’s diversity makes us stronger. We encourage and embrace applications from BIPOC, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, and persons of the LGBTQ+ community.
Senior Software Developer – Video Infrastructure
REDspace is a custom software development company. We build cutting-edge streaming platforms and user experiences that are transforming the media & entertainment industry for clients such as WarnerMedia, ViacomCBS, Sony, and IBM. Leveraging our extensive, world-class experience, we help transform other industries by integrating existing systems with consumer media innovations and emerging technologies such as video, voice, mobile, machine learning, and gaming tech.
We are looking for a Senior Software Developer – Video Infrastructure to join our growing, cross-functional team.
As a Senior Software Developer focused on Video Infrastructure, you will be responsible for ensuring our video delivery stack aligns with current industry standards, you will continually look for ways to ensure delivery of the best performance possible. Converting user stories and/or specifications into functional video delivery backends, you will participate in the development process from inception to deployment and will collaborate with a multidisciplinary team. You will look for informal opportunities to coach and mentor junior developers, offering technical support and guidance throughout the project lifecycle. To ensure top quality every step of the way, you will write efficient code, testing it prior to submission and you will troubleshoot and debug the result of your work with the help of QA throughout the Agile process. Given the client-facing nature of this role, your strong communication and customer service skills will ensure customer satisfaction with the process and the product.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in related area such as Computer Science or Software Engineering considered an asset
- Proficient at development within existing code bases as well as greenfield projects.
- Proficient with at least one of the following languages:
- Strong understanding of the following:
- Cloud Services (mainly AWS)
- Internet architecture & video standards:
- ISOBMFF (ISO-14496-12)
- HLS (RFC 8216)
- DASH (ISO-23009-1)
- TCP pitfalls
- Content Delivery Networks and their management (Fastly, Akamai, CloudFront, etc)
- Subtitles and Closed Captions
- NA / LATAM / EU
- VAST / VMAP
- FreeWheel backend
- Header Bidding
- SSAI Packaging
- Media encoding and packaging – specifically Common Encryption schemes
- Device support considerations
- Encryption modes
- Video (H.264, bonus: H.265, AV1)
- Audio (AAC, bonus: AC-3, EC-3)
- Git and common branching models
- Ecosystem Build Tooling (Make, CMake, Ninja, NPM)
- API Usage and Development
- SQL and NoSQL style databases
- An understanding of scrum and kanban
- Passion for learning new technologies and a desire to stay up to date with industry trends and best practices
- Great attitude and a friendly demeanor. Culture is important to us …
- Strong Communication, problem solving and client service skills
Working at REDspace.
One of the big plus sides of working at REDspace is we look out for you.
Your well-being. We offer:
- Fully company-funded health, vision, dental, and life insurance coverage with access to an online doctor
- Pension plan contribution matching
- Healthy living allowance
Your career. We’re invested in your growth. We offer:
- Annual professional development allowance
- Bi-weekly and monthly Project and Tech shares
- Annual salary and performance reviews
Your happiness. You’ll enjoy coming to work every day. We offer:
- A flexible work environment with remote work options, in office opportunities or a mixed approach
- Financial relocation assistance
- Social and team building events
- Charitable donation matching
At REDspace, our team’s diversity makes us stronger.
Different backgrounds, talents, skills, experiences, and perspectives strengthen our business and the communities in which we work and live. We are committed to growing and cultivating an inclusive environment that enables knowledge sharing and collaboration—empowering our employees to be their best.
We hire based on merit and skill and make all employment-related and hiring decisions regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or indigenous origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital status, or Veteran status.
Where to find us!
168-1595 Bedford Hwy
Bedford NS, Canada B4A 3Y4
This position is based out of our Bedford office OR has the opportunity to be remote. We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience. We appreciate your interest in REDspace. Please note, only candidates who meet the requirements of the role will be contacted.