Senior Platform Engineer
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, W Ventures, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
You will be joining the Platform and Infrastructure (PI) team. The purpose of PI is to enhance our backend services, infrastructure, and increase the productivity of our engineers. You will be creating new tools, defining architectural best practices and creating frameworks for engineers to follow.
Wattpad runs on a large distributed system that handles 45k requests every second. You’ll be assisting in modernizing our backend services and systems which currently include our monolith, microservices and backend infrastructure. Our monolith is written in PHP and backed by S3, Redis, Memcache, MySQL and Cloudflare. Our microservices are written in Go and are backed by S3, DynamoDB and MySQL. At this scale, caching is paramount so we have multiple terabytes of data across memcached, redis and groupcache.
Your engineering career and happiness are incredibly important to us, so we are always finding new ways to level up your skills. We believe in a team culture that enables empowered engineers to fix problems in the way that they see fit.
What you’ll be doing:
- Operating a production platform in AWS hosting 150+ services handling 45k requests/sec using Kubernetes and services running on EC2 which is responsible for serving millions of people per day.
- Writing new tools and services in Go and PHP.
- Defining best practices and providing mentorship and support to other engineers.
- Researching new technologies to solve tomorrow’s deployment, monitoring, and scaling needs.
- Advocating for the adoption of tools across the engineering org.
What we’re looking for:
- You’re an excellent communicator who is passionate about DevOps and building a culture of automation
- You develop scalable, robust, and maintainable code and have a desire to contribute to the broader software engineering community
- You’ve worked with cloud platforms as a service (AWS, GCP, etc) for at least 3-5 years
- You have experience with monitoring distributed systems at scale
- You’re comfortable debugging systems at different layers of the stack
- You’re excited about modernizing our monolith in PHP, and microservices in Go
- Experience building scalable and fault tolerant services/systems
- You enjoy working with a team, but have no problem working independently
- Nothing makes you happier than a hard problem solved well (and has “just-the-right” amount documentation)
- You have or are currently mentoring other developers
Bonus Points For:
- You have exposure and some working experience with container orchestration tools like Kubernetes or have a deep knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes or ECS
- Hands-on experience with CI systems such as TravisCI
- You have exposure to Infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform & Ansible
- Passionate about security and privacy
- You have or are currently mentoring other developers
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- A beautiful office in downtown Toronto, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices – 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.