Senior iOS Engineer
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, W Ventures, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
As a Senior iOS Engineer, you will spend the bulk of your time on our native iOS apps implementing and testing new features, improving architecture and performance, building beautiful user interfaces and writing shareable code that can scale across projects and teams. You’ll use the latest tools and open-source libraries, and will also have opportunities to make meaningful contributions to Wattpad’s web and backend services, as your interests allow. If you’ve got a track record in mobile development with a broad range of skills and interests, a passion for understanding user behaviour, and love shipping code at a huge scale; this is the opportunity for you!
What you’ll be doing:
- Build cutting edge iOS apps that bring the joy of storytelling to millions around the world
- Contribute to our automated test framework to maintain a high quality codebase
- Work closely with Product Managers and Product Designers to refine product experience
- Plan collaboratively, and drive innovation with a cross-functional team
- Release weekly updates to the Apple App Store
What we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of experience with native iOS development
- Strong knowledge of at least one of the following: Swift, Objective-C
- Deep understanding of iOS frameworks and modern design paradigms
- Desire to grow and learn continuously, and amplify those around you
- Eagerness and initiative; you leave the codebase cleaner than you found it
- Sincere enjoyment in developing across platforms and technology stacks
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with Go or AWS
- Existing app portfolio
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and investing in your learning, and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered by us!
- RRSP Contributions (Canada), 401K Contributions (USA)
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- Monthly home office allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices – 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.