This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital – a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk-taking and superior risk-adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
To support our growth objectives at AXIS, we are investing significantly in our Corporate systems through our new Business & Technology Center in Halifax, Nova Scotia. This position is for a Senior Developer within the Reserving BTS team, specializing in database development, report development and application configuration.
You will be providing your expertise, critical thinking, and creativity to help evolve the Reserving and Actuarial ecosystem in new and innovative ways. This position requires the ability to work independently on complex system components, while also collaborating as part of dynamic and agile project teams.
As part of a global team, you will be working with highly experienced talent to enhance existing solutions and design new ones to deliver and integrate capabilities across the Reserving platform. You will embark on an exciting learning journey, gaining a strong grasp of these domains along with the underpinning mathematical, actuarial and statistical methodologies.
The Developer role will be involved throughout the development lifecycle, through requirements analysis, coding, unit testing, system testing, user acceptance testing and warranty phases. Success in this position is largely dependent on the ability to implement, integrate, improve, and automate capabilities across the development stack, deliver against roadmaps and ensure business buy-in.
- Contributing to the solution architecture for Reserving solutions, working with the Solution Architect and other developers
- Partnering with vendors, and colleagues from other teams and segments, within blended/unified delivery teams, and working across different time zones
- Producing, testing and deploying code/solutions as required
- Contributing to the integration of capabilities into production environments and managing technical dependencies with other development teams, infrastructure, security etc.
- Supporting the smooth transition of new capabilities from project development teams to the application maintenance team through technical documentation and walk-throughs
- Advocating and evangelizing best practices within the Business & Technology Center such as pair programming, Test-Driven Development (TDD), behavioural-driven development (BDD) and Continuous Delivery (CD)
- Working across teams within the Business & Technology Center to share knowledge (through ‘lunch & learns’ etc) and influence development technology roadmaps
Required/Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Extensive experience in database development and optimization
- Ability to communicate complex processes clearly, both verbally and in writing, using effective drawings and diagrams
- Strong experience with Microsoft development and tooling stacks, including:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Stored procedures
- SSIS packages
- SSRS and report optimization
- Indices and optimization for performance
- Production environment troubleshooting
- Practical experience in branching, merging code, continuous testing and software delivery pipelines and containers using Visual Studio, Test Manager, Team Foundation Server/Azure DevOps, or other tools
- Real-life experience with Agile methodologies including SCRUM; experience working with Product Backlogs using Team Foundation Server or Azure DevOps
- Experience with the Microsoft Power BI Platform
- Experience in web-based development using Microsoft technologies, e.g .NET
- The ability to collaborate effectively and communicate transparently
- A history of successfully bringing innovative solutions to complex problems
- Experience acting as a primary database developer on significant to complex IT projects
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- The ability to learn new technologies as required
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
- ResQ configuration
- Unify or similar automation software development experience
- Other Microsoft visualization tools
- Azure SQL Server
- Experience in specialty insurance and reinsurance
- Experience implementing Reserving and Actuarial Solutions
- Strong Business Architectural and Process design skills
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Physics, or Mathematics, or equivalent