Senior Database Analyst
Nova Scotia Power’s greatest source of energy is our people. In a culture focused on safety, we’re committed to providing exceptional service to our customers and rewarding jobs to our employees. We’re hiring solution-minded people excited to help us grow into the future. We are currently looking to fill the position of Senior Database Analyst.
Reporting to the Manager – IT Technical Support, the Senior Database Analyst will be an integral member of the team responsible for all operational aspects of the database environment, daily oversight, as well as partnership with application support and development teams to deliver and maintain world class data solutions.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Efficient in MS SQL Server Enterprise edition, with SQL always on, database performance tuning, database backup and recovery, SQL Plus, and SQL Clusters.
- Experience in Oracle Enterprise Edition 11g, 12+, RAC, DataGuard, database performance tuning, database backup and recovery, SQL Plus, and Clusterware would be considered an asset.
- Management and maintenance of back-ups & recovery procedures
- Execution and maintenance of Disaster recovery processes
- Development, implementation and management of scripts used for process automation and streamlining
- Maintain security, compliance, audit and access control frameworks and manage related documentation.
- Capacity planning, Trending and forecasting
- Participate in database and server patching and currency initiatives
- Ensure high availability of the database environment
- Function as DBA representative on development projects, liaising with development team in the full development life cycle of database applications
- Research, system roadmaps, opportunities and constraints to IT, as well as the Company.
- Train and mentor department and team members.
- Develop and maintain documentation for procedures, tasks, and actions
You will be responsible for your personal safety and that of co-workers by observing all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or a related study, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years relevant IT experience with a focus on MS SQL Server database management
- Efficient in database backup & recovery.
- Proficiency in Windows, Unix and Unix scripting (cmd, bash, Perl)
- Proficient in database performance tuning & diagnostics.
- Possess and display expert skills in the following areas: technical troubleshooting, customer service, communication.
- Experience in concurrently supporting multiple enterprise-scale systems.
The following skills would be an asset:
- Experience with database security audits.
- Experience with database monitoring tools and backup infrastructure providers.
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
At Nova Scotia Power, our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate for this position you speak up on health, safety and environment issues, and demonstrate a belief that all injuries are preventable. You support flexibility in the workplace and embrace change. A Senior Database Administrator builds strong collaborative relationships with a commitment to a respectful, inclusive and productive work environment while demonstrating integrity and a commitment to operational excellence for our customers. Lastly, we encourage you to proactively ask questions and seek information to understand how your work relates to the business goals and make well informed decisions.
Reports to: Manager, Technical Support
Form of Application: Click the APPLY button at the end of the online job posting. Complete all required information fields, and copy and paste your covering letter and resume into the online form.
Salary: To commensurate with qualifications and experience
Must Be Received By: All interested candidates should apply no later than July 25, 2022. Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We are committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
In accordance with Emera’s occupational health and safety program and the Emera Vaccine Program, subject to any approved accommodation, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For clarity, “fully vaccinated” means 14 days since having the number of doses or combination of doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada or local public health agencies in the jurisdiction in which they will be employed.
At Emera we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through the on-line application process. Emera supports candidates and employees with access and accommodation needs.
If you are selected for an interview and require a specific accommodation, please advise our Talent Acquisition team and we will support you with the recruitment process.