Senior Data Engineer
As our industry has evolved, the way our clients consume data has changed. RBC Capital Market’s application teams face challenges of large-scale data storage, low-latency retrievals, high-volume requests and high availability over a distributed environment. We create standardized solutions to these problems by building core services and technology frameworks for enterprise-wide use.
As a member of the Data Fabric team, you will contribute to the architecture, engineering, and development of RBC Capital Markets “Big Data” ecosystem. This data and analytical platform serve the needs of various lines of businesses spanning trading, risk, research, sales, regulation, and compliance. The mission of the data fabric team is to make the complex simple and to provide a scalable and highly available data processing platform.
As an experienced Big Data Developer, you will help us refresh and evolve many facets of our Data Lake and analytics infrastructure using existing emerging and open source technologies.
What will you do?
- Take ownership of component(s) of the workflows supported within our data ecosystem
- Interact with development teams across RBC and understand their application requirements and data access patterns
- Design and develop systems that meet our latency, volume, storage and scale expectations
- Participate in meetings to help influence architectural decisions
- Follow our Agile software development process with daily scrums and monthly Sprints
- Ability to work collaboratively on a cross-functional team with a wide range of experience levels
- Define best practices for spark usage; work with teams to influence their architecture
- Provide expertise in Spark Performance tuning
- Perform knowledge sharing, conduction education workshops, and train other employees is expected
- Keep pace with emerging technology by researching and evaluating products
- BS/MS in Computer Science / Math/ engineering along with 5+ years of experience in Spark/Hadoop
- 10+ years of experience programming in Java/Scala
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles
- Experience with 2 NoSQL/Graph databases, such as MongoDB, Ignite, Druid
- Experience with Hive
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team at a world-class training program in financial services
- Flexible work/life balance options
- Opportunities to do challenging work
- Opportunities to take on progressively greater accountabilities
- Opportunities to build close relationships with key stakeholders
- Access to a variety of job opportunities across businesses and geographies via internal mobility