Senior Data Engineer
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, W Ventures, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
You will be joining the Data Engineering team. The purpose of our team is to empower engineers, analysts, and data scientists with tools that enable and streamline data-driven decision making, analysis, and feature development.
Your engineering career and happiness are incredibly important to us, so we are always finding new ways to level up your skills. We believe in a team culture that enables empowered engineers to fix problems in the way that they see fit.
We are looking for a Data Engineer passionate about solving hard technical problems, loves to create data ingestion models, and thrives in a product focused environment. If this is you, keep reading!
What you’ll be doing:
- Coordinate with data scientists, data analysts, software developers and product managers to design and evolve our existing architecture, improving the reliability and performance of our data infrastructure
- Build, maintain and scale our ETL pipelines to help power analytical needs
- Provide input into the design and development of our in-house A/B testing framework to maximize effectiveness of experiments
- Evangelize data-driven decision making across the organization through data expertise
- Writing new tools and services in Go and Python
- Defining best practices and providing mentorship and support to other engineers
- Researching new technologies to solve tomorrow’s data infrastructure needs
- Advocating for the adoption of tools across the engineering org
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Ability to write high-quality code in Python
- Strong understanding of database fundamentals
- Experience with Cloud Data products
- Experience with batch processing and streaming systems like Spark and Hive
- Experience with Kafka is a plus
- Experience with Airflow and Luigi is a plus.
- A critical thinker and possess creative problem solving skills
- Quantitative skills, ability to think analytically, and strong attention to details
- A desire to contribute to the broader development community
Bonus Points For:
- You have exposure and some working experience with data warehouses like Redshift
- AWS products such as EMR, Glue, etc would be a big plus
- Hands-on experience with CI systems such as TravisCI or GitHub Actions
- Ability to write code in Go or java
- Passionate about security and privacy
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions (Canada), 401K Contributions (USA)
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- Monthly Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices – 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.