Department: Science Education
Supervisor: Coordinator, Science Education
Position Category: Full Time
(Note: The position is subject to the terms and conditions of a collective agreement between Unifor and Discovery Centre)
The Educator develops and delivers creative, science programming for classrooms and informal settings across the province and for virtual learners through a variety of media. The Science Educator is responsible for ensuring learners of all ages develop their skills and literacy in important STEAM subjects through engaging lesson planning, facilitation, and the implementation of program evaluation tools. The Science Educator works collaboratively with the entire Discovery Centre team and with external stakeholders and partners to enhance education in key areas of focus including Climate Change, Health, Energy, and Oceans Sciences, Innovation, and inquiry-based learning. The role includes travel within the province, assisting in program scheduling, reporting, and communicating educational initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of the Science Education team to develop engaging inquiry-based programming that will inspire scientific literacy and encourage skill development in learners of all ages
- Delivers programming in virtual settings and through travel to schools and communities across Nova Scotia, upholding Discovery Centre’s mission
- Schedules outreach programming and contributes to program evaluation in consultation with the Science Education team and partners
- Liaises with program partners, including the NS Department of Education and Early
- Childhood Development, and communicates directly with provincial educators, providing Professional Learning
- Reports regularly on program initiatives, statistics, and outcomes
- Assists Science Education and Experience team with key projects, public programming, and registration-based programs (e.g. camps, Discovery on Demand,
- Professional Learning sessions) as needed. Supports communications related to key programs
- Ensures the safe and responsible use of chemicals and materials while adhering to departmental safety procedures, cleans, stocks and maintains supplies
- Ensures the safe operation, refueling, and maintenance of Discovery Centre vehicles
Relationships & Significant Contacts
Working in a team environment, the Science Educator collaborates to provide exciting inquiry-based educational experiences for students, teachers, visitors, and the community. The Science Educator is required to communicate with various program partners and stakeholders, school administrators, teachers, and students; visitors and special guests; group leaders and chaperones; and the media.
The Science Educator may be required to organize and oversee staff or volunteers during special events or programs.
The Science Educator may be required to work beyond core business hours as needed, which may include evenings, weekends, or holidays, in agreement between the incumbent and Coordinator, Science Education.
Performance will be reviewed annually by the Coordinator, Science Education.
- Affinity for science with a familiarity of inquiry-based learning
- English-French bilingualism considered an asset
- Academic background or demonstrable experience in key areas of focus considered a strong asset (Climate Change, Health, Energy, or Ocean Sciences; Inquiry Based Learning)
- Dynamic teaching and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Effective written communication skills
- Highly organized
- Experience with Google and MS Office suites and video conferencing platforms
- Standard First Aid Certificate
- Clean driving record
Discovery Centre promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and embraces diversity. The Centre is committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs, supports diversity in its work environment, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are considered for employment with the Centre. Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.