Department/Unit – Facilities Management
Location – Halifax
Posting Number – S241-22
Employee Group – DPMG
Position Type – Term
Duration of Contract (if applicable) – To end in April 2024
Employment Type – Full Time
Full-time Equivalency (FTE) – 1.0
Salary – $62,936 – $84,312 per annum
Classification – ADM-06
This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Job Design Unit in approximately six months.
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our almost 21,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Facilities Management’s mission is to provide the Dalhousie community with an inviting, safe and sustainable environment that supports and enhances an inspiring experience in learning, living, working and research. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Projects, the Project Manager (PM) is responsible for the safe and timely delivery of Facilities Management Minor Capital Projects (projects).
- Arranges and executes contracts with the consultants and contractors to achieve the project goals and evaluates contracted work for performance and quality by ensuring appropriate qualifications and experience to perform contracted work.
- Initiates activities required to develop the project, including development of RFPs and tenders for design and/or construction. This involves coordination within the University with the Purchasing Department and Legal Counsel Office.
- Creates meeting frameworks for the consultant team to meet with the client to determine requirement details and ensures the consultant team is able to deliver important milestones set out by the PM, such as budget review timelines and tender dates.
- Researches and advises the client in a variety of critical areas such as ergonomics, sustainability, accessibility, design standards, security, finishes, furniture, accessible lifts, lab equipment mechanical and electrical systems.
- Represents the University’s interests by ensuring all University guidelines, applicable building standards, national provincial and municipal building codes are adhered to.
- Confirms and refines the detailed budget breakdown inclusive of all deliverables, and oversees and thoroughly reviews tender documents to ensure coordination of drawings and specifications, performs value management analysis, and provides feedback to consultants.
Due to operational requirements, the successful applicant is required to work in-person on campus.
Dalhousie’s vaccine mandate has been suspended at this time, and employees no longer need to provide proof of full vaccination. However, health and safety risks to our community will continue to be monitored and a vaccine mandate may be reinstated if necessary.
Undergraduate degree in architecture, engineering or a related field with relevant construction project experience, plus approximately five years’ experience in construction-related project management, consulting or a related field (or an equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Architectural, engineering or PMP designation would be an asset. Good communication (verbal and written), interpersonal skills and financial management skills are required. Excellent business management, leadership qualities and developmental skills are required. Ability to resolve conflicting situations is also required.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie’s core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
– Respect & Inclusion
– Thinking and Acting Strategically
– Relationship Building
– Resource & Process Management
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Applications from current university employees and external candidates are assessed concurrently. Current university employees will be given special consideration.
We sincerely appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly by the hiring department or Human Resources.
Dalhousie University commits to achieving inclusive excellence through continually championing equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons (especially Mi’kmaq), persons with a disability, racialized persons, including persons of Black/African descent (especially African Nova Scotians), women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.