About NPower Canada
NPower Canada is a charitable organization that launches underserved young adults into meaningful and sustainable digital careers. The program provides participants with free in-demand digital and professional skills training and connects them to new and rewarding career opportunities with some of Canada’s largest employers.
Through consultation with a wide range of employers, NPower Canada’s comprehensive curriculum ensures participants are equipped with the in-demand technical and professional skills most sought after by industry.
NPower Canada provides employers with access to a pipeline of eager, diverse, and job-ready young talent with in-demand digital skills who are primed to succeed in the workplace. Graduates receive ongoing support and coaching to ensure continued success in their careers.
Reporting to the Program Manager, this is an opportunity for a results-focused and experienced human services professional to work in a team-oriented atmosphere to provide group and individual career development counseling and employability skills coaching to Nova Scotia youth facing barriers to employment, while supporting the Program Manager with program administration and logistics.
Who you are
- 3+ years in group and individual career coaching, preferably with diverse clientele who have faced barriers to employment.
- Post-secondary education in Career and Work Counseling, Social Service Work or Social Work, Education, Adult Education, Human Resources, or similar field is a strong asset.
- Knowledge of/connections within the Toronto employment and training sector.
- Excellent conflict resolution and interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly skilled at crisis intervention, de-escalation, and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent presentation skills and experience facilitating engaging and interactive workshops developed for a youth audience.
- Open-minded, inclusive, non-judgmental, and committed to participant success.
- Proven ability to deliver diverse types of programming such as life skills, skills training, job search and career readiness programs.
- Excellent teamwork skills and proven experience collaborating with other departments.
- Group and individual counseling skills.
- Experience evaluating program curriculum and delivery to identify what is working and where improvements are possible.
- Proven expertise in resolving challenging and complex client service issues.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a safe, professional, and supportive classroom and service environment.
- Experience working with youth of all backgrounds including people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, low income and racialized youth.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability and thrives in a rapidly changing environment.
- You are proficient with Google Drive and Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and CRM database applicants. Salesforce knowledge is an asset.
Accountabilities & Deliverables
Career and Employment Readiness Preparation and Coaching
- Facilitate NPower Canada’s Professional Development workshops to classrooms of generally 50-70 participants.
- Workshops include resume development, professional attire, workplace communication, interview preparation, and other relevant topics.
- Provide group and individual career coaching to participants with strong emphasis on resume and cover letter development, LinkedIn profile development, interview preparation and networking practice.
- Maintain a safe, professional, and respectful classroom environment simulating the professional workplace environment.
- Assist with classroom preparation and actively troubleshoot issues related to program delivery including space and technology maintenance.
- Utilize counseling techniques such as motivational interviewing and solution-focused brief therapy to support participants in developing employment-ready behaviors.
- Create and develop post-training Action Plans for NPower Canada graduates.
- Conduct mock interviews with participants to help them learn how to market themselves effectively to employers.
- Edit Resumes, Cover Letters, and Candidate Profiles within strict timelines
- Support in preparing participants for site tours and employer guests.
- Coordinate class schedule, including working with Program Manager to support participants in preparing for guest speakers, site tours, and networking events
- Coordinate and track transportation support for eligible participants.
- Input and maintain accurate participant information in Salesforce and on Schoology.
- Assist with data collection and tracking, including participant assessment scores, classroom performance, work, income and education status, and program surveys.
Participant Management and Issue Resolution
- Record and track participants’ attendance and punctuality in accordance with Participant Agreement.
- Work with a team to address participant performance issues with tact and timeliness.
- Work with all NPower Canada team members to maintain a safe and professional work environment for participants and staff
- Engage in weekly Case Management meetings with the team. Monitoring and reviewing participant performance and creating action plans to support with participant success
- Support Program Manager with participant performance management including feedback meetings along with verbal and written warnings and program withdrawals.
- Works in consultation with Manager, Wraparound Support to ensure that holistic supports are in place for participants coping with concurrent challenges.
- Research new employment and wellness resources for participants.
Team Support and Administration.
- Assist in the production and updating of NPower Canada program materials and teaching aids.
- Assist in marking participants’ projects and assignments.
- Participate in regular case management and support the
- Program Manager in preparing Feedback Notices, capturing case notes, and taking meeting minutes.
- Input and maintain accurate student information in Salesforce and on Blackboard
- Assist with data collection and tracking, including student assessment scores, classroom performance, income and education status, and program surveys.
- Support with training and onboarding of staff and placement students as needed.
- Participate in site planning meetings and assisting with tasks as defined by the Program Manager
- Record and maintain accurate applicant documentation and information in Salesforce.
Our Ongoing Commitment to Employee Health
As a condition of initial and ongoing employment, and in accordance with the legal obligations of employers and employees under provincial Occupational Health and Safety legislation and any applicable public health requirements, the successful candidate will be required to demonstrate proof satisfactory to NPower Canada of full vaccination against COVID-19. Such vaccination requirement is subject to NPower Canada’s duty to accommodate under applicable human rights legislation.
NPower Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NPower Canada will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human Rights Code. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.
Background Check Notification
All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of a background check; which includes professional, academic and criminal checks.
Work remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19
** Please note that this role is currently remote (work from home). In the new year, we may require in-office work part of the week, as well as in-person interactions with other staff and program participants. Our in-person work will require staff to be fully vaccinated to attend the physical workplace **