Product Owner, TA Project
Job Title: Product Owner, Talent Acquisition Replacement Project
Business Unit: Emera Inc.
Location: Halifax, NS
Type of Employment: Term, Full Time
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Length of Term: 10-12 months
We are currently looking to fill the position of Product Owner for our Talent Acquisition System Replacement Project . Reporting to the Manager, Business Transformation, you will drive the implementation of talent acquisition system replacement. You will do so in an agile environment by understanding the business and technology requirements to deliver on the project objectives. The project will include, but not limited to, the implementation of an applicant tracking system, candidate relationship marketing module, reporting and onboarding solutions.
The Product Owner owns the product from start to finish and is responsible for conveying the product vision and roadmap to an Agile delivery team by defining user stories and prioritizing the product backlog. The Product Owner acts as a conduit between the project team and key customers (our business leaders, Human Resources, and the IT teams) to ensure alignment throughout the project, ensuring alignment on the solution roadmap and the backlog.
The product owner is also the primary communicator and link between stakeholders and teams. As such, they must be an excellent communicator, making sure there is buy-in from stakeholders on all major decisions and strategy; clear instructions and deliverables communicated to the team and follow up and ongoing updates provided throughout the project to ensure robust real time communications throughout the process. The Product Owner must also intimately understand the vision of the product from the point of view of multiple parties, our customer, end users and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with business teams and stakeholders to gather, analyze, and prioritize business requirements to create required documentation and user stories.
- Translate customer “needs” and “wants” into requirements, and guide requirements through delivery by collaborating with business & project teams;
- Develop, adapt, and carry out product implementation plan from beginning to end, while taking a primary role in inspecting and evaluating product progress through each iteration;
- Assess value, develop cases, and prioritize stories, epics, and themes to ensure work focuses on those with maximum value;
- Work directly with the agile product and development team during design and development, ensuring the product meets specifications, efficiency and the quality is maintained;
- Work with the agile development team to ensure appropriate test(s) are completed during the development process and issues are quickly remediated to minimize defects during the user acceptance testing;
- Create, plan, and prioritize an effectively groomed backlog based on the overall strategy and business objectives and ensure that the scrum Agile team always has an adequate amount of prior prepared tasks to action;
- Manage business expectations, bring issues to business’ attention proactively; offer solutions;
- Communicate in an effective, timely and efficient manner with business owners and the agile delivery team, ensuring the successful delivery of products during each iteration;
- Responsible for effective communication with stakeholders, including customers, business teams, and the project development team to make sure the goals are clear, and the vision is aligned with business objectives;
- Ensure and assist in achieving and meeting deadlines and schedules;
- Researches and identifies industry best practices and trends to increase effectiveness;
- Assist in the creation of a product roadmap. The product roadmap is a high-level, strategic visual summary that outlines the vision and direction for the product offering over time;
- Coordinate, lead and prioritize feedback from the sprint demos;
- Responsible to lead presentations to governance groups, business and HR as applicable.
As the ideal candidate you recognize yourself in most of the following competencies, and possess or are working towards the desired skills and experience listed below:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, information security, engineering or another related field;
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional-level work experience;
- Experience as a Product Owner working in an Agile Framework is considered an asset;
- Experience in Human Resources is an asset;
- A solid understanding of project management methodologies and Agile practices is preferred, not mandatory.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and foster collaboration across teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, managers, and subject matter experts throughout the entire life cycle of the project
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer and business needs and translate them into product requirements.
- Ability to write story outlines, user stories, preparing product backlog(s) and coordinating/prioritizing work items.
- High confidence level, ability to take ownership and accountability.
- Proactive approach to problem solving.
- Excellent time management skills including prioritization of tasks and controlling scope.
- Ability to reconcile key stakeholder interests, conflicting priorities, and business strategy.
As the successful candidate you value a diverse workforce that is reflective of your community and support a workplace where everyone feels welcome, respected, and seen.
At Emera Inc., our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate for this position, you speak up on health, safety, and environment issues, and demonstrate a belief that all injuries are preventable. You support flexibility in the workplace and embrace change. As a Product Owner, you build strong collaborative relationships with a commitment to a respectful, inclusive, and productive work environment while demonstrating integrity and a commitment to operational excellence for our customers. Lastly, we encourage you to proactively ask questions and seek information to understand how your work relates to the business goals and make well informed decisions.
Why join Emera?
Emera is one of Atlantic Canada’s largest publicly traded companies, and a North American Top 20 utility. Our ability to serve more customers in more places is thanks to the commitment of our 7,100 employees in Canada, the USA, and the Caribbean. As we develop, we are excited to welcome new team members who are committed to our purpose and our approach to business. Emera values people who believe that safety and health, relationships, and excellence are integral to how we work. In return, we value the diversity of our people and invest in their growth through:
- competitive compensation packages: including a comprehensive pension and benefits plan and employee-sponsored saving plans.
- opportunities for career growth: including a strategic focus on employee development plans, opportunities to advance within and between our affiliate companies, sponsored education programs.
- giving back to communities: including corporate investments in the places where our people live and work; employee dollars-for-doers and fundraising-matching programs, scholarships for children of employees.
Reports to: Manager, Business Transformation
Application Requirement: To apply, please click on the blue ‘APPLY NOW’ button in this job posting, complete all required information fields, and attach your cover letter and resume into one single file to the online form.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline: We encourage you to apply at your earliest opportunity but no later than August 5, 2022 Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We are committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
In accordance with Emera’s occupational health and safety program and the Emera Vaccine Program, subject to any approved accommodation, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For clarity, “fully vaccinated” means 14 days since having the number of doses or combination of doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada or local public health agencies in the jurisdiction in which they will be employed.
At Emera we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through the on-line application process. Emera supports candidates and employees with access and accommodation needs.