PR Manager (12-month contract)
We are looking for a passionate, media-savvy, experienced, and hands-on PR Manager to join our PR & Communications Team. Reporting into the Head of PR & Communications, you will work closely with Wattpad’s integrated PR, marketing, Studio, content, and product teams to plan and execute global PR campaigns, generating media coverage for our brand and authors. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a background in technology, consumer & lifestyle PR, or journalism.
What you’ll do:
- Connect and collaborate with teams across Wattpad to uncover compelling stories about our product, our writers, their stories and readers–with a focus on our next hits in the making–developing can’t-miss US and global PR campaigns.
- Proactive and reactive global media & Influencer relations to increase Wattpad’s presence in top-tier, mainstream press (across technology, business, consumer & lifestyle beats), showcasing how Wattpad is changing the future of storytelling and enabling writers to build global fandoms around their work and grow their careers.
- Educate consumers and media about the power of Wattpad’s storytelling technology, and the growing popularity of the webnovel format for the Creator Economy.
- Work closely with our content, data, and business teams to develop trend stories based on region and content-specific insights and reading/writing behavior on Wattpad.
- Manage a high-performing PR agency, and work with the Head of PR & Communications to build a network of international agency vendors to support our business.
- Prepare for and staff interviews, ensuring our Leadership Team and writers can shine in every media encounter.
- Generate and manage speaking and event opportunities for Leadership Team and writers.
- Develop external speeches and presentations, including researching, writing, and building slides.
- Prepare and manage budgets and invoicing on a monthly basis.
- Provide operations oversight of reporting to showcase the value PR adds to our organization
- Build new processes to support an evolving international business, including sourcing new tools to support the Wattpad’s PR practice
What we’re looking for:
- You have 5-7 years experience in journalism, or experience in Consumer or Tech PR.
- Someone who understands journalism and what makes a great news story – you aren’t afraid to pick up the phone and tell media our story.
- You are a strong writer: you can put words together in a compelling way, modifying for audience and complexity, while always producing clear and articulate copy.
- A savvy and motivated Communications pro, who can dive into a number of beats and easily talk about consumer trends and entertainment.
- You really love operations and process — making sure everything is organized in a way that increases efficiency makes you happy.
- A team player, who gets equally excited about building a strategy as you do in executing tactics.
- You love to read and/or write; you are a natural fit for Wattpad!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.