Mid / Senior Bookkeeping Technologist
We need a smart, curious and independent Mid/Senior Bookkeeping Technologist to help us revolutionize the future of small business.
Running a small business is hard. Often the person running a small business is highly skilled in the service they provide, but not so skilled in the running of an actual business. You’re an amazing chef, but don’t know how to run payroll. You’re a talented gardener but you don’t know how to predict cash flow. And why should you? Time is short, the learning curve is way too high, your bank talks at you like you’ve got an MBA and the chance of failure is always huge. In fact 45% of small businesses fail within the first five years of being founded.
We want to change that.
huumans is a modern tech-first accountancy and bookkeeping start-up with zero aspirations to build a social network to rival Linkedin or bolt a bad version of TikTok into QuickBooks. Instead, we want to build something truly unique which is actually useful to real people every day. This means providing small businesses with the best customer experience imaginable, educating and empowering owners to help them be better, and protecting their accounts and assets like they’re our own.
This is where you come in.
We’re looking for a Bookkeeping Technologist who has some battle scars. You’ve seen good work, bad work and great work – and you know what it takes to make good work great. You know how to navigate complex accounts, make the numbers work and explain how the numbers work. You’re the person people go to when it’s all falling apart in flames who can make everything look peachy again. You’ve got war stories to tell, know the right path to take in any drama and know how to bring an entire team along with you.
From day one you will be talking to real clients about real problems and trying to solve them in real time. You’ll jump between the worlds best cloud accounting platforms, making the numbers work, filing real returns, delivering accurate reports, managing up, mentoring below. You’ll be the daily touch-stone to real business founders who will turn to you for help when they need it most and will make decisions based on your solutions and strategies. You’ll be driving, honing and developing an efficient and incredible team and always trying to improve things for everyone.
- You’ll be working with real accounts and books – and managing those more junior – so you’ll need at least 2 years experience of fast-paced bookkeeping environments, with some of that time having been spent mentoring others. Time in the seat though matters less to us than the talent and ability to just get sh*t done and that you’re be incredibly reliable, personable and loveable in equal amounts.
- You’ll know accrual bookkeeping, payroll, debits, credits, clearing accounts, reconciliations inside out, upside down and back to front. You could write a book on it if anyone would read it.
- You know the ins and outs, pain points and high explosives in any accountancy system including invoicing, payables, bookkeeping, tax rates and more. Bonus points if you’ve had to diffuse some of these complex time-bombs in the past and have a story to tell.
- You’ll be working and mentoring with bleeding edge technology, so you’ll need to have solid knowledge of online / cloud based accounting software such as Wave, Xero and QuickBooks. Even better if you’ve used customer service or project management software before.
- You’ll be dealing with real people every day. Everyone at huumans talks with clients directly, so you’ll need people skills, a love of helping people and the patience to solve difficult human problems.
- You’ll be able to learn but also to progress. Progression usually happens through critique and discussion. You’ll be able to do this in a structured and supportive environment and you’ll be excited to learn, do, improve and progress, and you’ll be happy to lead critiques with your team in a blame-free environment.
- You’ll embrace what remote working has to offer. We offer a free environment to do your best work in the surroundings that suit you – but you’ll understand that with that environment comes the need to communicate at our best, be endlessly independent and always be accountable.
- You’ll thrive in an environment where curiosity, ownership and responsibility are a given. We offer all the support you’ll ever need, but everyone is responsible for the work they do, their successes and their failures. As a company we embrace ownership as a form of self-empowerment through constant learning.
- You’ll appreciate agility and efficiency. We’ll provide agile training and coaching, but the ethos of agile is the foundation of everything we do. We work as efficiently as we can to produce the best outcomes possible – and we constantly learn from our mistakes.
- You’ll need to be a resident of Canada when applying for this role.
- Top 20% industry remuneration with the option of equity. That means that the ownership you take day-to-day in your role also translates to actual ownership in the company itself.
- A 100% remote environment where you can work from wherever suits you, with the tools you need when you need them.
- Mentorship, support and coaching to everyone, whenever it is needed.
- A structured career path that you control.
- A committment to a progressive, accessible, equal, transparent and positive working environment for all.
- Good benefits, from physical health to mental health and beyond.
- Generous, flexible vacation days – we believe that everyone should take ownership and responsibility over their own time – and when they do they work at their best.
- Progressive and flexible maternity / paternity / childcare options – we offer everyone the same flexible maternity, paternity or childcare options regardless of their family set up.
Don’t tick all the boxes? Feel you’ve got something to offer but it’s not quite listed? Let us know! We’re always interested in hearing from amazing people. Reach out to us at email@example.com