Manager, Corporate Taxation
Job Title: Manager, Corporate Taxation
Business Unit: Corporate Tax, Emera Inc.
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Employment Type: One (1) year contract
Start Date: December 1, 2021
Type of Employment: Term Position, maternity leave coverage
Why Join Emera?
Emera is a North American energy leader. Regulated utilities are core to our business, but we’re also working in transmission projects, marketing and trading, contracted generation, asset management, utility services, pipelines, and renewable technology development. Our ability to serve more customers in more places is thanks to the commitment of our 7,100 employees in Canada, the USA and the Caribbean. As we grow, we’re excited to welcome new team members who are committed to our purpose and our approach to business. Emera values people who believe that safety and health, relationships, and excellence are integral to how we work. In return, we value the diversity of our people and invest in their growth.
- Reporting to the Senior Director, Corporate Taxation, the Manager, Corporate Taxation, will assist with ensuring that the Emera group of companies remains compliant with Canadian and international tax requirements while optimizing tax efficiencies and enterprise value for a multi-level corporate structure.
- Working in collaboration with the Corporate Tax Team, you will also be responsible for:
- Liaising with internal business units and providing tax support and consultation services on a variety of tax matters;
- Performing tax research and providing solutions on tax issues, as well as maintain a continuing awareness of developments and changes in tax laws;
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of tax planning for acquisitions, divestitures, contractual arrangements, financing, loss utilization and other activities;
- Supervising corporate tax team members and demonstrate leadership behaviour towards others;
- Supporting the tax compliance, filings, and audit response processes; and
- Supporting the tax accounting and the financial reporting of tax for various operations.
The successful applicant will be joining a highly motivated Corporate Tax team that is working on various interesting projects in Canada, the US, and other jurisdictions. A broad exposure to the many facets of Emera and its affiliates is a regular part of the teams’ work. You will be responsible for personal safety and that of co-workers by observing all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience:
As the ideal candidate you recognize yourself in most of the following competencies, and possess or are working towards the desired skills and experience listed below:
- You have a professional accounting designation (CPA – CA, CMA, CGA) and five plus (5+) years’ financial accounting, reporting and corporate tax experience;
- Exposure to U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles would be considered an asset;
- Previous experience with reviewing tax work prepared by peers and supporting them through the process is desired. As a tax subject matter expert, you are able to provide sound advice, clear direction, and good judgment;
- You bring strong technical, analytical, and quantitative skills with a superior attention to detail;
- You possess strong communication, leadership, and relationship management skills;
- You have an excellent multi-tasking ability with a desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment; and
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite of software (Excel, Word and PowerPoint in particular) and a strong working knowledge of tax preparation and tax research software is required. TaxNetPro, Checkpoint and Taxprep experience would be considered an asset.
At Emera, our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. We expect members of our leadership team to implement safety, health, and environmental standards. The successful incumbent will also be a visible leader who cultivates innovation and supports change to ensure the business continually evolves. Furthermore, they will build strong, collaborative relationships that achieve results. The Manager, Corporate Taxation will encourage others to speak about ethical concerns, listen when issues are brought forward, and take action to address any issues. Lastly, they will deliver exceptional service to customer as well as set goals for their department and seek opportunities to build strategic partnerships with others.
Reports to: Senior Director, Corporate Taxation
Application Requirement: To apply, please click on the blue ‘APPLY NOW’ next to the job posting, complete all required information fields, and copy and paste your cover letter and resume (in one single file) into the online form.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline: September 21 st , 2021. Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling our positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We are committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
We value diversity in the workplace and strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including members of the visible minority community, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles. Applicants from these designated groups wishing to self-identify may do so through a series of questions in the online application process.