Localization Translator, Korean/English (12-month contract)
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
As a Localization Translator (Korean to English), you will be supporting critical projects that bridge between WEBTOON and Wattpad and getting stories translated from Korean and ready for the spotlight by: proofreading spelling, grammar, and syntax issues in novel-length content. These stories will be in a variety of genres and styles and will require varying levels of editorial attention. While this role is initially a 12-month contract, there may be a possibility for extension or even full-time.
What you’ll be doing:
- Translate and localize marketing materials and synopsis from Korean into English and vice versa
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
- Maintain consistency with existing localization style and terminology
- Correct errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation on novel-length stories and marketing material translated to or from Korean/English
- Work with translators and editors to ensure the quality of the localization
- Coordinate with other departments and WEBTOON to achieve localization objectives
- Other related duties and special projects as they arise
What we’re looking for:
- Native-level English and Korean required
- At least 2+ years of experience in translating game/book/film-related texts from Korean into English
- A dedicated passion for writing, pop culture, and storytelling
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Excellent writing and editing skills
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- A beautiful office in downtown Halifax, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.