Human Resources Business Partner (12-month contract)
Wattpad WEBTOON Studios brings together technology, a diverse new generation of creators, and passionate global fandoms to create data-backed, audience-driven TV shows, films, and books. Leveraging incredible stories and insights from WEBTOON and Wattpad’s combined audience of more than 166 million people, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios has pioneered a bold, global, fan-first approach to entertainment. Wattpad WEBTOON Studios has worked with Netflix, Sony Pictures Television, Crunchyroll, The Jim Henson Company, Vertigo Entertainment, Constantin Film, Penguin Random House, and many other leaders in entertainment and publishing.
As a Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) at Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, you will have an opportunity to multi-task – using your deep HR expertise to help support the hyper growth of our organization. You will also have the opportunity to have a big impact on our team and outstanding culture.
- Work with managers and employees to solve complex and unique employment matters
- Own Wattpad programs and initiatives
- Provides leadership and development for the People team
- Strategic agility: You will be responsible for helping to develop and deliver on the People strategy and ensuring all team members are supported. You will have a deep understanding of the issues that impact the employee experience
- Critical Thinking: You have a keen ability to think through next level consequences of decisions being made, you are able to proactively think through strategy and its future impact on the organization. You will work with employees and managers on complex issues and employment relations matters
- Communication: You are a proactive communicator who is effective both verbally and in writing. You will be a lead communicator to all employees and managers. You have a high comfort level in the ability to disagree thoughtfully. You proactively keep both managers and other teams who will be affected by their work up to date
This role is a 12-month contract
What you’ll be doing:
- Focus on your portfolio (Wattpad WEBTOON Studios) and support the full Employee lifecycle
- Has experience working with data in engagement surveys, developing action plans and helping to steward the organization through being accountable to results. If you’ve used database systems in the past, this is a plus!
- Partner with the Sr. Human Resources Manager to understand and execute the organization’s human resource strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, retention, and succession planning
- Provide support and guidance to employees and management, and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations
- Collaborate with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies
- Partner with the Talent team to ensure continuity in our People processes, lean in when requested or required
- Manage and analyze trends in compensation and benefits; researches and proposes competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent
- Create learning and development programs with the Director of Learning and Development and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees
- Maintain compliance with employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance including partnering with legal when required
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law
- Has worked in an environment with Diversity and Inclusion is an organizational priority, has had experience with D&I in general
- Performs other duties as assigned
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of HR generalist experience
- 2-4 years of management experience
- Experience in the publishing or entertainment space, and ability to work in a agile environment
- Skilled HR professional with a client service orientation and drive
- Exceptionally organized and process driven – quality first approach
- Superior eye for detail and strong connection to culture/values fit
- Ability to work well independently and within a team environment
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- BA and CHRP (or designation in process)
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and investing in your learning, supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered by us!
- RRSP Contributions (Canada)
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- Monthly home office allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad WEBTOON Studios is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
We are a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.