Geomatics Technical Assistant (TS12) Annapolis Valley Campus
Annapolis Valley Campus
Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia
School of Technology and Environment
Term Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately August 23, 2021 (and ending approximately August 2, 2022)
Application deadline is 11:59PM, November 11, 2021
Competition No. 2021-250(d)
Salary range: $47,459.16 to $55,658.31 annually
For the 2021-22 Academic Year, based on public health guidelines, NSCC plans to return to more in-person learning, supports and services. You may be required to work on campus, remotely or a combination of both as the Academic Year begins and progresses. This will be clarified further upon hire.
You will provide supervision and assistance in the Geomatics programs. You will arrange for and assist in the set-up of specialized laboratory equipment; demonstration of laboratory techniques and equipment; assistance to students in the laboratory during scheduled laboratory times and at other times as necessary. You will provide support for specialized printing/plotting services; preparation of digital data sets to be used for student assignments. Assistance in laboratories may be face-to-face or in person as required. Other related duties may be assigned by the Academic Chair.
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC’s mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a post-secondary certificate in a geomatics discipline from a community college or an undergraduate degree in a geomatics discipline or related field.
- You have a minimum of two years of recent and related occupational experience in applied geomatics theory including mapping, physical geography terrain analysis, air photo interpretation, graphic design, GIS modeling, statistical analysis, and scripting. You possess industry experience in a geomatics environment using a variety of hardware and software tools.
- You have experience using handheld and other GNSS hardware.
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill in GIS technology including ESRI products (e.g., ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap) and Open Source (e.g., QGIS).
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, and Learning Management Software.
- Occupational experience that includes a demonstrable ability to program in various languages (e.g., SQL, Python, C#, HTML, CSS, JS) would be considered an asset.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for staying current with new technology; and you are committed to using technology in advancing your work.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills and can interact at all levels of an organization.
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and can create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction.
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment.
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- You are a strong communicator.
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to liaising with industry partners to assist Geomatics employment opportunities.
- You have proven records and information management skills and abilities specifically related to databases.
- You are dedicated to life-long learning by continuing your education to improve your skills and knowledge.
- You show a strong commitment to community involvement such as volunteering with geomatics associations.
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia’s economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi’kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact David Meister, HR Generalist at email@example.com. Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/policies_procedures/index.asp.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.