Entrepreneurial Mobile Engineer
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, W Ventures, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
Working with a small startup-style team within the Wattpad Labs business unit, you will help revolutionize the way creators tell stories. From exploring new formats of storytelling outside of books, to leveraging web3 to support the creator economy, all while bringing the strong community around storytelling that has brought Wattpad success. The work on Wattpad Labs has a big vision, there will be lots of experimentation, and we’re building on a massive scale. If you’re not afraid to try new things, this is your next role!
Within W Ventures, our new Ventures arm focused on revolutionizing how people tell stories, we’re looking for a Mobile Engineer to play an important role in W Ventures with this new greenfield project. You will spend your time primarily building in Android (and also iOS as well) implementing and testing new features, and owning the technology across the stack, building beautiful user interfaces. We are looking to hire engineers who have experience in both Android and iOS applications, with ideally strong expertise in Android. You’ll also have opportunities to make meaningful contributions across web and backend, as your interests allow.
If you’ve got a track record in mobile development with a broad range of skills and interests, have a passion for storytelling and love innovating around new products to get to product-market-fit, we’d love to hear from you. This cross-functional team on W Ventures will be hugely experimental and will iterate frequently on the scope of work across W Ventures.
What you’ll be doing:
- Innovate on audio storytelling, exploring completely new ways for people to tell stories in audio formats
- Developing new products that unlock more ways for creators to engage their audience beyond the Wattpad platform
- Experiment with complex and groundbreaking new technical environments (ie, audio storytelling with social elements, new models for creator earnings, web3, and other new product concepts)
- Contributing ideas during brainstorming and discovery to build new methods of storytelling
- Bringing the sense of ownership of a co-founder, taking on roles and responsibilities across the team
- Plan collaboratively, and drive innovation with a multi-functional team
- Communicate with technical and non-technical audiences alike
- Practice agile principles, delivering experiences to our users continuously
What we’re looking for:
- Strong knowledge of at least one of the following: Java, Kotlin, Swift, Objective-C or React Native
- Deep understanding of Android and/or iOS frameworks and modern design paradigms
- Deep understanding of user experience and user interface design
- Desire to help shape product evolution with new formats and across new platforms for the creator economy
- Like learning new things within and outside of technology: technical challenges, product ideas, business models
- Self-starter who is comfortable working with ambiguity
- Experience building and iterating on greenfield projects from the ground up
- A hands on approach to innovation with comfort adapting and building across a variety of technologies with minimal direction
- Excited by new technology and emerging consumer trends
- A passion for storytelling and creativity of expression
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions (Canada), 401K Contributions (USA)
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- Monthly Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices – 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.