Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
As a Series Editor on the Content & Creators Team, you will be helping train writers to create stories in a long-form, ongoing series format. This will include working with writers to expand existing stories, as well as create new stories from scratch with the potential to run as long-form series. In addition, you will be monitoring and coaching writers to maintain story and character arcs over a story’s lifetime.
Together with the Content Lead, you will also help develop training materials for writers who want to learn how to write in this style, and will help train your fellow editors on what to look for in these stories. You will be working directly with writers to help develop their first Series format story – helping them maintain deadlines, create consistent arcs, and write a great story. This is an exciting, fast-paced position where we will be working to create high-impact, high-engagement long-form stories with some of Wattpad’s best writers.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working closely with writers to help them write long-form, ongoing stories (think series like Grey’s Anatomy, Coronation Street, Doctor Who or long running Marvel/DC comic books and manga like One Piece).
- Working with our Editorial team to create writer-facing educational resources to help writers develop storytelling skills in this area.
- Assisting our Editorial team in understanding and editing long-form, ongoing stories.
- Editing ongoing series.
- Keeping writers inspired and on deadline while writing.
What we’re looking for:
- You have experience with copy editing and proofreading: you will be working quickly on a number of stories in our pipeline.
- You have experience working closely with writers/creators, helping them grow and develop their craft.
- You have experience with screenwriting, book-to-film adaptation, and/or series development.
- You have a Bachelor’s or Diploma in a related field (ex. English, Publishing, Screenwriting).
- You are enthusiastic about stories and what makes them work.
- You have genre and content objectivity: you will be working in a variety of stories and genres with different degrees of maturity, and you must be able to see the appeal in any story and determine how it can be most optimized.
- You are a pop culture enthusiast.
- You are familiar with the basic rules of fiction writing (how dialogue tags work, etc).
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You are, of course, a Wattpadder! (Or are eager to learn!)
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- A beautiful office in downtown Halifax, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we?
Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean?
We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with?
Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work?
Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.