Document Specialist (Remote – Canada)
- Halifax, NS
- Can work Remote
- Full-time – Permanent
Are you a Microsoft Office expert who enjoys preparing and creating advanced level documents? Do you enjoy working in a fast paced, team environment in which you learn everyday and are challenged to grow professionally?
McInnes Cooper is seeking a motivated and proactive Document Specialist (Word Processor) to join our team for a full-time permanent position. As part of our team, you will provide advanced document production and administrative support to lawyers and legal support staff across the firm. This opportunity is available for remote work and may be located anywhere in Canada or in any of our office locations (Halifax, St. John’s, Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John and Charlottetown).
What you’ll do
As a Document Specialist, you will be responsible for providing advanced support in document preparation including but not limited to:
- Providing advanced word functions including:
- Tables of contents, styles, cross-references, hyperlinking, automatic numbering;
- Email and mail merges (including envelopes/labels/name tags/tent cards); and,
- Formatting complex documents (e.g. factums, agreements, prospectuses, circulars, etc.).
- Converting, creating, editing, combining, optimizing/condensing and preparing fillable and searchable PDF forms;
- Troubleshoot documents including up to the coding level to identify and fix issues preventing proper editing and automation;
- Transcribing lengthy digital voice recognition, voice recorded and handwritten dictation;
- Comparing (Using CompareDocs) and Comparing (Using Word);
- Creating, formatting and printing excel sheets;
- Precedents: Search and convert precedents; add new precedents to database, profile in
- Worksite, index and maintain for absences and,
- Create, open or insert documents such as organizational charts, bar graphs and pie charts, using Visio or Excel, create and revise PowerPoint presentations including updating backgrounds of old presentations, combining presentations and formatting PowerPoint documents.
What you’ll need
The successful candidate will possess the following skill set:
- The ideal candidate will have Office Administration, Legal Assistant diploma or other related education;
- Minimum five (5) years’ related experience preferably with a legal professional services firm;
- Advanced-level technical skills in Microsoft Office required;
- Expert Knowledge in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Nuance, Adobe and CompareDocs;
- Knowledge of Canadian Legal Information Institute (CanLII), WestlawNext and other online services;
- Ability to type with a speed of 80-100 words per minute;
- Ability to provide after hours coverage outside normal work hours on occasion for absences;
- Knowledge of legal terminology, documents and procedures an asset; and,
- Microsoft Office Specialist Certification is an asset.
A little bit about us
McInnes Cooper is among Canada’s 25 largest business law firms and the exclusive member of Lex Mundi for Atlantic Canada, the world’s leading network of independent law firms. Providing strategic counsel to industry-leading clients here and abroad for more than 160 years, we continue to thrive through our relentless focus on client success.
Our mission? To turn our knowledge, skills, and effort into value for our clients and our communities through dedicated leadership.
At McInnes Cooper you will find a team that values you. We recognize that our members are key in delivering outstanding client service and we provide a collaborative, professional environment with a member focused culture. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that values, respects and supports different perspectives, cultures and experiences.
Diversity & Inclusion
We recognize that our individual differences make us a stronger, more adaptable law firm. We embrace these differences and give all of our members the opportunity to develop their unique skills and talents.
Collective Social Responsibility
We are recognized as a leader and innovator amongst Canadian law firms in the field of Collective Social Responsibility. Our people are concerned citizens who enjoy giving back. Together, we focus on developing ongoing partnerships with community organizations that do amazing work, often despite limited resources and public awareness. As a firm, we have the ability to respond with contributions of time and monetary support, and our people give generously of their skills and effort.
Pro Bono Legal Services
Through our Pro Bono Program, we provide legal counsel to disadvantaged people and organizations that have difficulty gaining access to justice on matters of public interest.
Like any large organization, our operations leave a footprint on the environment. From paper use and waste production to transportation and energy consumption, we continually look for opportunities to minimize that impact.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Our team members have access to:
- Defined-benefit pension plan;
- Firm-paid health and dental benefits;
- Health spending account;
- Personal spending account;
- Time for you: Including vacation, personal and sick days.
- Balancing life: Work from home / Flex work options available for many team members.
- Our Team – we can’t say enough about our people! You will be part of a collaborative, collegial, respectful and caring team; and,
- Participating in a variety of teams including our Corporate Social Responsibility, Wellness, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and so many more.
McInnes Cooper is committed to building an environment that is diverse and inclusive, representative of the communities in which we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the LGBTQ2S+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through our on-line application process.
As part of the recruitment process, MC will provide accommodation(s) to candidates with disabilities. If you require an accommodation(s) to participate in the recruitment process with us, please contact Amanda Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902.455.8153.