Director, Digital Justice Strategy & Products
The Nova Scotia Digital Service (NSDS) is a team within government and we are putting people first. We are called a “digital” service for a reason – because we are helping government work the way that people expect things to work these days.
Our team is large, diverse, and passionate about making a difference in peoples’ lives. We believe in user-centered iterative digital service design, and practice internet-era ways of working. Working at the NSDS means you will be a part of a team whose work makes a difference through designing, continuously improving and delivering the programs and services people need, alongside caring, compassionate, highly-skilled people.
At the NSDS, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate a supportive culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging!
The people who use government programs and services come from all walks of life. It is important that the NSDS reflects the people that we serve – so we can deliver better, and more accessible, and inclusive public services. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
Who You Are
You are an internet-era servant leader who has strategic leadership experience with a track record of delivery. You are passionate about people’s experiences and want to make people’s lives better. You’re curious, and your humbleness helps you learn and grow. You love to collaborate across roles and organizations, and you can create a path forward from uncertainty. You are comfortable inspiring others with your communication skills whether they be senior leaders or technical teams.
You share our values of Respect, Integrity, Diversity, Accountability & The Public Good, have a passion for service excellence and actively promote and encourage the importance of people, teams, diversity, and culture.
Your Role and Its Impact
As the Director of Digital Justice Strategy & Products you will be responsible for:
- The delivery of a portfolio of digital products and services that span justice service agencies with a relentless focus on user needs and business outcomes.
- Leading a team that builds and runs digital services that make it easier for the public to get access to justice. Things like Online
- Dispute Resolution for Family Legal Matters.
- Working closely with policy and operational teams to align digital transformation business plans with ministerial direction and priority strategic outcomes.
- Working closely with colleagues in courts, legal services, prosecution services and others to ensure that new initiatives are designed with human-centered approaches.
- Ensuring effective governance, ways of working, risk and financial management are firmly embedded across all digital deliverables.
You will be responsible for creating an environment for digital professionals to thrive, embedding an inclusive culture that puts the needs of users first and fosters innovation and creativity by continual experimentation and learning from best practices across government, academia and industry.
How you can make an impact
Nova Scotians need easy and timely access to justice, built for the internet-era. Your impact as a digital leader will be felt by Nova Scotians and their families through simpler access to justice services and information.
Leaders in courts, legal services, prosecution services and other justice services agencies will benefit from your leadership because they have come to trust and rely on you as a partner and advisor for all things digital and technology for justice service agencies.
Your thought leadership will shape and influence the strategic thinking and transformation agenda both within justice services agencies and beyond.
Technology doesn’t deliver easy and timely access to justice, built for the internet-era – our people do. Your impact will create an environment for digital professionals to thrive – where their unique expertise in internet-era ways of working and civil service are valued for the rareness that it is.
What You Bring To The Table
- Evidence of successfully delivering real digital transformation, a positive end user impact, and multi-year change programs in a complex environment whilst operating at scale.
- Proven track record of building, developing and motivating multi-disciplinary digital teams through the full product and service lifecycle.
- A history of coaching, inspiring and educating colleagues about the opportunities and pitfalls of digital transformation.
- An affinity for building collaborative, high performing teams that can apply and scale internet-era ways of working.
- Experience develop team capability and upskilling them to deliver human centered, secure, digital public services.
- Political acumen in managing and communicating with multiple stakeholders and partners.
We recognize that everyone brings different skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”.
We encourage you to apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to fundamentally reshape the way programs and services are delivered for an ambitious, complex organisation that serves nearly a million people and positively impact the lives of Nova Scotians.
- A position that comes with significant responsibility and opportunity to make an impact, interact regularly with senior officials and shape the future of the province.
- Be a recognized internet-era technology leader via talks, events, and blogging.
- The freedom and significant opportunity to shape a team and supplier ecosystem
- A close-knit, collaborative team of digital leaders and an engaging workplace where our employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in.
- Forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless career paths and resources to develop yourself.
- Department specific flexible working schedules, to support your life at and outside work.
We offer you with a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs.
While this position is based in Halifax, travel throughout the province will be required periodically.
On October 6, 2021 the Government of Nova Scotia announced full vaccination will be a condition of employment for new staff being hired.
Pay Grade: EC 14
Salary Range: $4,075.74 – $5,106.37 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.