Development Team Lead – Back-End
As a Development Team Lead, you will leverage your technical abilities, leadership skills, and project oversight experience to get the job done while growing and supporting your team. You will work shoulder-to-shoulder with your team members to contribute wherever you’re most needed – whether that’s hands-on coding, improving team processes, fostering continued learning, or elsewhere.
You’re passionate about building high-performing teams that produce high-quality, standards-compliant software. You take pleasure and satisfaction from the successes of other team members and are excited about building and maintaining a positive team culture. You enjoy autonomy, and you will have the option to work remotely and/or from our Bedford office.
Is this role right for me?
To be perfect for this position, you will need to:
- Write efficient, readable, well-tested code to accomplish tasks and solve technical problems;
- Breakdown and prioritize tasks within projects and provide required direction to team members and reports to successfully meet deadlines;
- Provide consistent and ongoing leadership and support to reports and mentor reports to achieve career and long-term objectives;
- Communicate effectively within your team, with your manager, with other teams and with key company stakeholders;
- Review and provide feedback on the code of your teammates and reports;
- Work with individuals and project teams to accurately estimate technical level of effort based on provided requirements;
- Participate in the hiring process and interviews, and provide clear and concise feedback on candidates;
- Prioritize tasks within projects and provide required direction to team members and reports to achieve project-level, department-level and company-level goals;
- Participate and provide valuable contributions in department-wide planning and initiatives;
- Initiate, guide and build development workflow processes and documentation;
- Effectively manage the concerns of your reports and facilitate resolutions in a timely manner;
- Attend regular sprint activities such as standups, grooming and retrospectives;
- Work closely with our product, SEO and business teams to incubate ideas and then execute to make those ideas a reality;
- Code back-end APIs, tools and applications using Python;
- Work with our Quality Assurance team to help automate API and application testing and repetitive development tasks;
- Collaborate with other development team members and other departments to drive innovation and help define internal standards;
- Participate in self-directed learning, tech groups and workshops to learn new technologies and expand knowledge.
What qualifications do I need?
The ideal candidate should possess:
- College Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience;
- 5+ years Professional Software or Web Application Development experience;
- Experience managing people or teams;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills;
- Attentive and responsive to the team and environment;
- Committed and dedicated to the work;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and delegate work;
- Self-motivated, independent thinker and worker;
- Adaptable and persistent to achieve goals despite roadblocks and change;
- Collaborative leader keen to work in a team environment;
- Focused on improving the team to meet larger business objectives.
- Experience coding in Python (intermediate or better);
- Experience developing REST APIs in Django and/or Flask;
- Experience ingesting data from JSON and XML feeds;
- Experience following Agile development practices (Scrum/Kanban);
- Proficiency with Unix-based systems and using CLIs;
- Experience with relational database language and structure, such as MySQL;
- Proficiency with code versioning tools, such as git.
What else would be nice to have?
Strong consideration will be given to candidates that also offer the following:
- Experience building GraphQL APIs (Graphene);
- Experience with Machine Learning (Pandas, Scipy, Scikit-learn, etc.);
- Experience developing ETL processes with Apache Airflow;
- Experience with containerization, i.e. Docker, Kubernetes;
- Experience with common server administration tasks;
- Experience with NoSQL Databases (MongoDB).
- Experience with AWS.