We are a well-funded, hyper-growth, scale-up looking for a software engineer with experience in portal development. If you’ve ever dreamed of working with a top tier technology company scale-up, on leading edge technologies, backed by the very best venture capitalists in the world, then this is your chance.
Some details about MobSquad:
MobSquad solves the significant and growing technology talent shortage faced by US-based start-ups and scale-ups by enabling its clients to quickly have a turnkey “virtual” Canadian subsidiary. MobSquad ensures technology professionals with US work visa challenges remain working with their current company, but nearshore from Canada. This is accomplished via MobSquad’s unique partnership with the Canadian Government, enabling work visas to be issued for technology professionals and their respective families within four to six weeks, and Canadian permanent residency within six to eight months. Additionally, MobSquad has unfettered access to top-tier global technology talent which it relocates to Canada and pairs with American as well as Canadian clients on an exclusive, long-term basis, helping firms not only retain their existing world-class technology talent base, but grow it substantially.
We’re a Certified B corporation, and have made numerous contributions to charitable organizations, as well as a financial commitment to the Upside Foundation. We believe we are playing a key role in enhancing Canada’s innovation economy, and have received financial support from the Government of Canada, Province of Alberta, Province of Nova Scotia, and City of Calgary, to support this ambition.
For our workplace culture, we were recognized as the 3rd best place to work in Canada (for a small company) in 2020, as well as recognized specifically for being one of the best workplaces nationally for: inclusion; mental wellness; giving back; youth; and technology. We were also recognized as one of the best start-ups to work for across Canada.
For our innovative business model, we have been featured in numerous media outlets including: Asian Pacific Post; BetaKit; Bloomberg; CBC; Global News; Gothamist; International Business Times; MIT Technology Review; Nearshore Americas; Nikkei Asian Review; NPR; The Economic Times of India; The Financial Times; The Globe and Mail; The Information; The New York Times; and The Washington Post.
Harvard Business School published a case study on MobSquad last fall, and Harvard Business Review featured us multiple times in an article that appeared on the cover of their November/December 2020 edition.
You can learn more about us on our website.
About the Role
As a Data Scientist, you will be part of a Canada-based team working remotely with a leading US scale-up. Your team will operate alongside many other talented developers and data scientists in Canada, and you will be an integral part of the tech community that MobSquad has built.
This role requires someone who has demonstrated an ability to bridge the gap between the theoretical and the practical. The ideal candidate has deployed or attempted to execute Artificial Intelligence theories from various Machine Learning (ML) models and algorithms. MobSquad is looking for proven researchers with a track record of publishing in impactful journals and conferences, or those with years of hands-on industry experience.
This role offers the opportunity to apply your knowledge of statistics and your analytical skills to mine data at scale and develop large-scale ML models to reveal the value in data. You will support feature prototyping and utilize best practices to write production-grade code. You will build data pipelines, implement ML-based analytical algorithms, and work closely with the software development team to set up back-end systems and interfaces that will deliver next-generation analytics.
- You have an advanced degree (M.S. or PhD) in Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, or a comparable analytical field from an accredited institution
- You are expert in data mining, machine learning, deep learning, statistical modeling, and data visualization techniques using data-oriented tools and languages such as Python, R, and MATLAB
- You have over three years of experience or demonstrated fluency in relevant programming languages (Python, R, Scala, Java, C/C++, C#)
- You have over three years of experience working with SQL (MySQL, SQL Server) as well as NoSQL (Cassandra, Hbase) databases
- You have experience setting up and using large-scale distributed data-processing frameworks such as Apache Spark and Hadoop MapReduce
- You have experience working with enterprise-grade cloud computing platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, or Google Cloud
- You have demonstrated ability to develop high-quality code adhering to industry best practices (e.g., code review, unit testing, revision control)
- You are familiar with designing experiments and collecting data for the purpose of deriving data analytics insights and solutions
- You have experiencing creating and deploying recommendation and/or predictive models
- You have work/project history reflective of a self-motivated professional who excels when given open-ended problems and broadly-defined goals, having an innate desire to discover the patterns and relationships in data that can be leveraged to provide business value
What You’ll Get @ MobSquad
- A full-time position that offers competitive compensation
- A benefits program delivered through our bespoke digital platform, giving you control, choice, and flexibility. We give you the ability to build your package of benefits covering health (e.g., medical, dental, vision), wellness (e.g., gym, workout gear, massage, transit), and RRSP (retirement savings)
- A downtown office location with first-rate amenities, surrounded by great restaurants and easily-accessible transit
- For international candidates, sponsorship for an immediate work permit, expedited permanent residency, and Canadian citizenship within four years
At MobSquad, we support and encourage building a work environment that is diverse, inclusive, and safe for all. We invite and welcome applicants of all backgrounds, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability.