Application Support Analyst
Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
Application Support Analyst
What is the opportunity?
The RBC Team in Halifax is hiring for multiple Application Support Analyst roles in Risk IT. This role will require you to be located in the Halifax / Nova Scotia region and be able to commute to the office (as required). As an Application Support Analyst you will provide support services for a suite of business critical and complex applications, understanding both front and back-end of the applications. The technology platform spans the breadth of Windows and Linux platforms, Python / Java environments and MS SQL and Oracle platforms.
What will you do?
Rotational after-hours & weekend support is required
Support personnel are required to carry cell phone when on call
- Investigates, resolves, and reports on medium-to-highly complex technical issues requiring business application understanding.
Works closely with business clients to understand priorities and impact, provides timely and accurate reports to management and end-users on status of critical systems processes and reports.
Proactively identifies and acts on emerging issues (and works with development teams) to resolve them in the short and long term. Many of these issues require rapid response and the ability to synthesize multiple technical factors quickly in order to arrive at a workaround or solution within hours.
Is able to learn about multiple applications and technologies and how they interact in order to provide cross-function support. An understanding of how legacy and emerging technologies integrate is required.
Makes recommendations on process improvements and enhances system and support documentation for lower levels of support (Level 1 and Level 2). Coach members of L1 and L2 teams.
Actively participate in Agile development projects to represent the interests of maintaining production application stability and adhering to production readiness standards. Your participation would ensure that projects follow RBC standards for security and audit, supporting System Integration testing, and supporting code promotions and development effort.
Work on IT risk deliverables: participate in DR exercise, help in DR planning and design; interacting with various auditors and make sure that applications in our portfolio function according to published RBC IT Risk Standards.
Perform some of the above responsibilities after hours and on weekends on a rotational on-call basis.
What do you need to succeed?
- Operating systems: experience with multiple operating systems and the integration of processing across different platforms will make you more effective in this role. UNIX experience is required. However, this is not a system administrator position and we do not have a privileged level of access to our systems. Shell scripting: the ability to read, understand, modify, and write non-trivial UNIX shell scripts is preferred.
- Relational databases: working knowledge of relational database concepts and how to interact with databases using SQL is required. However, this is not a DBA position and we do not have a privileged level of access to our database systems.
- Job scheduling software: knowledge of how to create and modify job schedules using job scheduling software is required, as most of the applications we support are run using advanced job scheduling software.
- Data transformation: a lot of the applications we support depend on getting files of varying formats loaded into relational databases for further processing. An understanding of how these ETL tools work will be of significant benefit in this position. An understanding of or interest in working with related technologies such as DataStage and Apache Hive would also be of benefit.
- Security: a foundational understanding of sound operating system and file system security practices on the UNIX and Windows platforms would be an asset.
- Emerging technologies: experience with Apache Hadoop and its ecosystem, HP Vertica, and/or Teradata, Micro services would be an asset.
- Ideal candidate would possess some business knowledge in the Capital Markets arena. In this position, it is often essential to be able to express technical issues in business terms, and vice-versa.
- Experience in a risk management environment would be an asset.
What’s in it for you?
- We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including great benefits, annual incentive program and recognition
- Leaders who support your development
- A dynamic, collaborative, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to do challenging work and grow your career
- Work-life integration
- Positive work culture emphasizing diversity and inclusion, volunteerism and community involvement
- Address: BEDFORD, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Work hours/week: 37.5
- Employment Type: Full time
- Platform: Technology and Operations
- Job Type: Regular
- Pay Type: Salaried
- Posted Date: 2022-05-10-07:00
- Application Deadline: 2022-08-27-07:00
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.