Analyst, Load Forecasting
In the last couple of years, Nova Scotia Power has replaced manually read customer electricity meters with Advanced Metered Infrastructure (AMI) that collects data at a much more granular level. This technology will enhance customer experience as they will be able to access daily energy insights, near real-time billing notifications, improved response to outages, and faster connection/disconnection.
Nova Scotia Power’s greatest source of energy is our people. In a culture focused on safety and our customers, we are committed to providing exceptional electricity service to Nova Scotians and rewarding careers for our employees. We are hiring solution-minded people excited to help us grow into the future. Therefore, we are currently looking to fill the position of Load Forecasting Analyst to join us in supporting NSPs AMI data analysis needs.
As a member of the Load and Revenue Forecasting Team you will join a dynamic group of responsive professionals who use analytical and problem-solving skills, and are responsible for tasks related to complex billing, forecasting, and analysis of energy sales and demand requirements.
- You will develop statistical models to evaluate the success of new rates based on different predictors (usage, temperature, economics, demographics, etc.), as well as lead consultation with colleagues to review information and develop strategies, including implementation, measurement, and evaluation of their effectiveness
- Provide analysis of customer consumption data to support activities such as load and revenue forecasting, rate design, and cost of service. Data types include cross-sectional and time-series big data.
- Collaborate within the load forecasting team and other teams in the development of an internal data warehouse, KPI reporting and dashboards using a variety of data visualization software, trend analysis and other ad-hoc reporting
- Design, build, and launch collections of usage data, models and visualizations that support multiple use cases across different domains.
- Coordinate data collection and analysis activities for internal and external users.
- Develop and maintain documentation of processes and procedures.
- Mentor team members by giving/receiving actionable feedback
You will be responsible for your personal safety and that of your co-workers by observing all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations. You will be accountable for environmental performance as it relates to the environmental management system processes and initiatives.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, engineering, or related analytical field.
- Minimum of 3 years in a data analytics role or equivalent
- Previous experience with data modeling or analysis in database systems, including programming and algorithm development
- Experience analyzing large data sets to identify gaps and inconsistencies
- Knowledge of statistical sampling techniques, regression, and time-series analysis
- Experience with data visualization using Tableau and/or other visual analytics tools is required
- Experience in the utility industry and understanding of electrical terminology is preferred
- Capacity to work and communicate findings with a range of stakeholders.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills; ability to clearly communicate complex technical concepts.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a small team in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours, as necessary.
The successful candidate must be willing to complete a Criminal Background Check.
Nova Scotia Power has a hybrid work model that offers flexibility.
At Nova Scotia Power, our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate for this position, you speak up on health, safety, and environment issues, and demonstrate a belief that all injuries are preventable. You support flexibility in the workplace and embrace change, and provide a commitment to a respectful, inclusive, and productive work environment while demonstrating integrity and a commitment to operational excellence for our customers. Lastly, we encourage you to proactively ask questions and seek information to understand how your work relates to the business goals and make well informed decisions.
Reports To: Load Forecaster
Form of Application: Click the APPLY button at the end of the online job posting. Complete all required information fields and copy and paste your cover letter and resume into the online form.
Salary: To commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Must Be Received By: All interested candidates should apply no later than September 30th, 2022. Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We are committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
In accordance with Emera’s occupational health and safety program and the Emera Vaccine Program, subject to any approved accommodation, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For clarity, “fully vaccinated” means 14 days since having the number of doses or combination of doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada or local public health agencies in the jurisdiction in which they will be employed.
At Emera we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through the on-line application process. Emera supports candidates and employees with access and accommodation needs.
If you are selected for an interview and require a specific accommodation, please advise our Talent Acquisition team and we will support you with the recruitment process.